What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum - Soap & Candle Forums

Help Support Soapmaking Forum - Soap & Candle Forums:

gww

Reaction score
Ps I don't remember how I got the recipe from email to here but am working on it.

I should have said zany requested above on not knowing how to highlight a name. I did also tell my daughter to use 33 lye concentration and that it was the second option under water percent but was doing it all through text while on deer stand and as mentioned earlier, just now is my first real experience using text. Not sure I like it.
Cheers
Gww
Ps still trying to figure out how to get texted pictures from text to here.

Resized_20211122_094803.jpeg

Ok, got it. I will leave all you good people alone now.
Gww

Basil

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Today my soap thing is thanking all of you for sharing and teaching and showing kindness to all of us who love soapmaking and never had a clue about the giving process of it. I have learned so much and know that I can count on learning more without fear of ridicule or competitiveness. A rare thing now in our country. I really do love you all and hope that I can contribute in the same way as you have . Happy Thanksgiving fellow soap makers and have a wonderful soapy day!!!

Zing

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I got a call today from a former colleague who said, "hem, haw, um, do you sell your soap?" I said, "Sarah, I don't sell to people I know. I'll give you a couple of bars if you want them. If you want more to give away, then it'll cost you." She asked me to text my price list and options to her. Gotta get my marketing team on this!

Today at work was all 'kitten loved' (beat you there, mod :) ) beyond all recognition -- and I do believe full moons kitten love things up. Pulled a 12 hour day and Just. Couldn't. Wait. to take solitude and comfort in my soap shop. I unmolded, cut, and posted, Spring Clean .

Basil

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wanted to give an update on @Zany_in_CO Palm Olive Soap. It's curing but im surprised w/ the moisturizing effect it leaves on hands' though its not cured, Ive got more bubbles then expected' The only thing I added to recipe is sodium gluconate, vanilla paste, otherwise followed recipe to a tea. wanted the soap to have a light hint of vanilla scent & the fo I used kinda smells of vanilla'ish which is caramel tobacco' in a small amount. The vanilla paste didn't add any scent in my opinion but its good label appeal' & the vanilla specs looks appealing, which I should of used more, I can hardly see the tiny specs in soap.
thank you @Zany_in_CO for being so kind & sharing your recipe's 🥰🤗🧼.
Beautiful!

Peachy Clean Soap

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Beautiful!
Awww Thank you so much 🤗🧼💫

Today my soap thing is thanking all of you for sharing and teaching and showing kindness to all of us who love soapmaking and never had a clue about the giving process of it. I have learned so much and know that I can count on learning more without fear of ridicule or competitiveness. A rare thing now in our country. I really do love you all and hope that I can contribute in the same way as you have . Happy Thanksgiving fellow soap makers and have a wonderful soapy day!!!
Wishing you a Blessed Thanksgiving 🤗🍂🦃

Ps I don't remember how I got the recipe from email to here but am working on it.

I should have said zany requested above on not knowing how to highlight a name. I did also tell my daughter to use 33 lye concentration and that it was the second option under water percent but was doing it all through text while on deer stand and as mentioned earlier, just now is my first real experience using text. Not sure I like it.
Cheers
Gww
Ps still trying to figure out how to get texted pictures from text to here.

View attachment 62750
Ok, got it. I will leave all you good people alone now.
Gww
Awww adorable picture. Look's like our next generation of a great soaper. 🤗🧼💫.

Martha

Reaction score
Started labeling the soap to get ready to send to friends and family. I feel like I'm actually more organized this year getting the soap made and ready. How could that be??

I had a computer crash and lost basically all of my files from the last 2 years (no, I didn't back up and know better!). This included my soap label template. So, I started with the handwritten label and then bought a template that I tweaked.

I would also love to add my thanks to everyone on this group. I've become a much more competent soaper because of you. And I love checking in to see what everyone is up to. And I even entered my very first challenge this month!

tempImageDYBQmB.png

melonpan

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Started labeling the soap to get ready to send to friends and family. I feel like I'm actually more organized this year getting the soap made and ready. How could that be??

I had a computer crash and lost basically all of my files from the last 2 years (no, I didn't back up and know better!). This included my soap label template. So, I started with the handwritten label and then bought a template that I tweaked.

I would also love to add my thanks to everyone on this group. I've become a much more competent soaper because of you. And I love checking in to see what everyone is up to. And I even entered my very first challenge this month!

View attachment 62775
Loving the look of your packaged soaps!
And that green is beautiful. Can I ask, is it cucumber puree that gives it that light green colour?

Drchurchillsoaps

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cut and beveled my latest soap. A HP soap I made with 4 wild butters: Ucuuba Butter, Murumuru Butter, Cupuacu Butter and Bacari Butter. I really loved making this - and I fragranced it with a mix of Kentucky Bourbon and Vermont Maple. View attachment 50924
I use a bar very similar to this but cold process. My customers favorite bar. Careful though it move FAST through trace haha.

ResolvableOwl

Notorious Lyear
Supporting Member
Reaction score
TITRATION day 😵🤓💉📝⚗

After witnessing some weird behaviour with making CPLS, I had the purity of my KOH under suspicion. The package says 85%. Eventually dusted burette and magnetic stirrer after a long time. The KOH turns out to be at 85.7% purity, so everything fine (and I'll have to search for errors elsewhere). Everything set up, I quickly tested my NaOH masterbatch too, and the “50%” are in fact 49.4%, i. e. my NaOH has 98.8% purity. Good to know, to estimate surprising superfat, etc.

Eventually, I celebrated this day with making a KOH masterbatch:
koh_masterbatch.jpg
The concentration 35.05% sounds random, but is purposely chosen. A 50% NaOH masterbatch has a hydroxide mass concentration of quite exactly 12.5 mol/kg solution. Now, this mass concentration is not possible to reach with KOH at room temperature (would be 70.1%). So I halved this number and went for 6.25 mol/kg hydroxide, which is said 35.05% KOH (or 40.9% impure KOH) – the same hydroxide concentration as a 25% NaOH solution.

For dual-lye soap, I can now replace each g NaOH masterbatch by 2 g of this KOH masterbatch, and don't even have to use the dual-lye capabilities of soap calculators.

ResolvableOwl

Notorious Lyear
Supporting Member
Reaction score
😃
It might not be obvious from all the math included, but masterbatching a) only sounds complicated (but in fact isn't), and b) is all about laziness. It's just that different people prefer different types of laziness.

At some point when you're tired of weighing 162.2 g NaOH and hypnotically waiting for them to dissolve into 329.3 g of water and cool down again, you might reconsider masterbatching. One cannot trick Nature (“There ain't no such thing as a free lunch”), but one can choose how to distribute the work over the process steps.

(You can forget about the lye purity & KOH shenanigans as long as you're just keen on robust soap bars. A good part of what I've done today was for “because” reasons/paranoia.)

bookworm

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just took advantage of the early Black Friday sale at NS. Now I’ll have to MAKE the time, and find the energy to make more soap! Cheers to a soapy 2022!!
And I did too. Now I’m sweating thinking how I’m going to balance my budget. :rolleyes:
Besides finding time to make the soaps, I’m going to first have to figure how to free up space to pack away my much anticipated stash.
Lots of appreciation to all the members who have offered recommendations on what to buy.

TashaBird

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Merry Making Season to me! Just ordered an Electra press bath bomb press and a national shrink wrap system. I’ve been so tired getting back to my day job that I was sad that I didn’t have enough time or energy to make soap and body care as I had been. But, I’m committed to finding the balance! And, these tools should make it easier. Reinvesting what little I make from my soap biz, back into my soap biz. Excited for my new skill and passion! Just trying to recalibrate to being ok with not being able to soap all day every day.

Latest posts