What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Mobjack Bay huuuugs!
I'm giving myself til end of this week to start soaping. Might not be enough time to get something like what I did last year with the Christmas soaps but that's life but maaaaybe I can entice some last minute shoppers.

So hopefully soap making pics will be shown next week lol

BTW, that soap top is gorgeous!

@AliOop huuuugs!
Thank you so much for that! Covid sucked and we're just thankful none of us got so bad as to be hospitalized - and the lil guy (who I'm convinced has both a guardian angel and demon watching over him lol), and grandma (both not vaccinated btw) came out of it unscathed.

I can hardly do simple things without having to catch a breath and it still feels like a hippo is sitting on my chest all the time but slowly I NEED to get things done. Currently no flooding since the one in August I'm happy to report but the year isn't over yet haha

So update. Hardly finished but big improvement - shelves and kid LOL
IMG_20211108_230956.jpg

IMG_20211108_231018.jpg

Lil tidbit - almost everything you see, maybe 80% has either been gifted or bought secondhand, from molds to cutters, to bins and including some of the ingredients I got from people destashing. Even that bunch of paper is my sister's medical board exam reviewers lol. Kinda proud of that.

Except the kid of course...... He's new(ish).

Anyone coming across this with experience in homeschooling gimme a shout out please, I'll send you a message for tips haha

I've missed you guys!

Last edited:
I see you already taught him how to assemble soap moulds. Priorities! 😄
Well yes lol this is one kid who can definitely say he grew up with soap making lol

He uses the wooden ones as ramps n tracks for his cars. He has taken over my seashell silicone molds and uses them with his clay. He "borrows" my spatulas and containers but I have to borrow them back lol. Every now n then some tape or string will not be where I last put them and sometimes I find lil animals inside my slow cooker.

I have a disclaimer though - none of this happens WHILE I'm soaping though haha, just in between

@dibbles I know right! When I met you guys in this here forum, he was barely 2yrs old! And it's good to see you too :)

I'm alive! Haha how is everyone?
We caught covid :( But fortunately we came out a lot better than some others. I have to say though, that this virus sucks something hard. It's been a month since recovery and we're still feeling the after effects.

Hence, nothing soapy has been going on lately.. Unless you count showering, washing hands and little butts..

But the soap room/dungeon/workshop is coming along nicely. It's done actually, I just have to set my stuff up and I'm only able to organize a few minutes a day. This was last night.
View attachment 62411
Also, my demonspawn has long ago decided that everything that's mine is also his. Not much of a choice since half this room is for him - I'm homeschooling him this year but a lot of his stuff is still in boxes n bags too. This was also last night.
View attachment 62412
And I'm so behind on Christmas soaps :(
Awww Dawni I’m so sorry you all got sick. I’m glad none of you had to be hospitalized though. My daughter was sick with it too and had been fully vaccinated. It kicked her butt but she wasn’t hospitalized. She’s a respiratory therapist and got it from a fellow staff member and they all suit up. I’m sure you’ll need to just take care of yourself and try not to overdo it. With your little one I bet that’s easier said than done! Take it easy, it’s nice to see you back !

I can’t get the video to play. 😢
I couldn't view either.

I'll be making four batches of soap this weekend. I hadn't planned on making anymore before Christmas but this is a special order. It's a collaboration with a local winery; they want to sell them in their gift shop/tasting room. I'll be making a red wine soap, a white wine soap, a rose soap, and a cider soap. They chose the fragrances and provided the wines and cider. If they sell as well as anticipated, this could become a regular thing.

View attachment 62381

Thats so awesome' Congrats 🧼🍷🍷

We caught covid :( But fortunately we came out a lot better than some others. I have to say though, that this virus sucks something hard. It's been a month since recovery and we're still feeling the after effects.

Hence, nothing soapy has been going on lately.. Unless you count showering, washing hands and little butts..

But the soap room/dungeon/workshop is coming along nicely. It's done actually, I just have to set my stuff up and I'm only able to organize a few minutes a day. This was last night.
View attachment 62411
Also, my demonspawn has long ago decided that everything that's mine is also his. Not much of a choice since half this room is for him - I'm homeschooling him this year but a lot of his stuff is still in boxes n bags too. This was also last night.
View attachment 62412
Glad your on the road to recovering. 💫🤗💞

View attachment 62411
View attachment 62412
Wicky wicky what??!! Hey, stranger!! It's sooooo good to see you and hear from you again!! Best wishes on recovering. Just one question -- where is your baby?

@Misschief your reminding me that I have boiled red wine in the frig. Does the wine discolor the soap at all?

Not Misschief, but I made soap with wine a few months ago and it came out brownish. I boiled down over 1.5 cups of dry red wine, and it came out to about 2 ice cubes, 28 grams in weight. I used this 28g of "wine syrup" and 118g of white vinegar as my liquid (33% lye concentration) in a 500g recipe. I added the melted and warmed (ETA: I had frozen the wine after making it) wine to the oils before adding the lye solution. I didn't use any colorants or clay in the soap.

114th batch-Brown Sugar & Fig wine-soy wax-shea.jpg

Last edited:
Not Misschief, but I made soap with wine a few months ago and it came out brownish. I boiled down over 1.5 cups of dry red wine, and it came out to about 2 ice cubes, 28 grams in weight. I used this 28g of "wine syrup" and 118g of white vinegar as my liquid (33% lye concentration) in a 500g recipe. I added the melted and warmed wine to the oils before adding the lye solution. I didn't use any colorants or clay in the soap.

View attachment 62423
Yum! That look like fudge! 😋

My soaping session was delayed today for a sad reason. I was resting with a cuppa after my prep stage, when I saw a Facebook post about a deceased cat on the side of the road not too far from my home. While I know my cats don't usually go as far as the busy road, you just never know for certain if they might decide to explore a bit further for a change. I jumped up, went and grabbed some old towels and set out to find this poor kitty. Thankfully not one of mine or my neighbour's.

Here in the UK, council teams are *supposed* to check dead cats, dogs and other pets they collect for a microchip, and all have a chip reader on the lorry, but all too often we hear stories of times that does not happen, and so either the owners never find out what happened to their missing pet, or by the time they do find out after calling the council with a description, their pet has already been cremated along with all the other wild animals killed on the roads, so they can't claim a body or even their ashes. The usual excuse seems to be that the crew assumed the cat was a stray because it looked scruffy. No you idiots, it looked scruffy because it was hit by a car....🤬😤

Because of this, cat lovers in my area (and many other areas around the country) will act quickly if they can when these kinds of posts appear on social media, to take the deceased pet to a vet for a chip check before the council clean up team arrives. Thankfully, the lovely tabby I took to the vet today was chipped, so her family will at least have closure. RIP beautiful kitty. 😥

(Please, no discussion about indoor vs outdoor cats, they always degenerate into an argument. I'm very much aware of both sides of the argument, and made my decision to allow my cats out during the day after a lot of careful consideration and discussion with my partner.)

Anyhow, after the adrenaline rush of that, I got home with a massive headache. The fact that I hadn't eaten lunch yet didn't help, so I ended up starting my soaping session a couple of hours later than planned.

The good news is that the 2 new fragrances I was testing behaved very well, so I could have done multicoloured designs - but past experience made me wary and I stuck to single colour soaps, though one of them has a contrasting mica-in-oil swirl on top, which I think will look great when cut. The third batch was a refill of my partner's current favourite scent, "rock salt and driftwood". It was the first to run out at the gaming weekend I mentioned recently, (where I took a basket of soaps to share,) it's just such a nice, well rounded, fresh scent. It's pretty gender neutral too, which helps! I also keep the colours in that quite simple, so although the design elements weren't exactly challenging this time, I really just needed the win of successful soap today!

Hi @Dawni ! Happy to hear you are recovering. I reappeared after a long hiatus and was wondering where you were. Glad you didn’t have to be hospitalized! Take care

@Martha nice to see you're back too!

Mr. @Zing that IS the baby lol he's not so widdle anymore

@Peachy Clean Soap thank you so much

@Basil it's always so nice to see that avatar of yours!

Thanks for the well wishes everyone :)

Agenda for the day:
Check on each and every single bar of stored soap, and clean my soap rack

That's the only soapy thing so far today (yes, new day already here hehe)

@Martha nice to see you're back too!

Mr. @Zing that IS the baby lol he's not so widdle anymore

@Peachy Clean Soap thank you so much

@Basil it's always so nice to see that avatar of yours!

Thanks for the well wishes everyone :)

Agenda for the day:
Check on each and every single bar of stored soap, and clean my soap rack

That's the only soapy thing so far today (yes, new day already here hehe)
Hug him while you can. All of a sudden he'll be renting his own apartment, grocery shopping, and all that #adulting s--t. So good to hang out with you today!!

I unmolded soap today expecting it to be a disappointment as to how I pictured it. I’m so happy! And shocked lol! I hope I can duplicate it ! I’d take a better picture but I’m pretty amped up as the soaps before this one weren’t quite what I wanted. So I just keep staring at it 😂 I bought the FO Santa’s Pipe and was trying to go for a Santa, smoky, cherry, snowy on the boots etc look

Attachments

• AA8EA4DB-B77E-4B63-B3D3-56DDAB2A4CFC.jpeg
    AA8EA4DB-B77E-4B63-B3D3-56DDAB2A4CFC.jpeg
    89.1 KB · Views: 41
My soaping session was delayed today for a sad reason. I was resting with a cuppa after my prep stage, when I saw a Facebook post about a deceased cat on the side of the road not too far from my home. While I know my cats don't usually go as far as the busy road, you just never know for certain if they might decide to explore a bit further for a change. I jumped up, went and grabbed some old towels and set out to find this poor kitty. Thankfully not one of mine or my neighbour's.

Here in the UK, council teams are *supposed* to check dead cats, dogs and other pets they collect for a microchip, and all have a chip reader on the lorry, but all too often we hear stories of times that does not happen, and so either the owners never find out what happened to their missing pet, or by the time they do find out after calling the council with a description, their pet has already been cremated along with all the other wild animals killed on the roads, so they can't claim a body or even their ashes. The usual excuse seems to be that the crew assumed the cat was a stray because it looked scruffy. No you idiots, it looked scruffy because it was hit by a car....🤬😤
That is so kind of you to take that on. RIP poor kitty :(

I am finally ready to make some soap again after a good break. I'm going to try a tree swirl this weekend. Hubby and son will be off elk hunting so I'll have the house to myself. Wish me luck!

Latest posts

Back