What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's been a couple of months since I've posted. Life has taken some unexpected turns which see me travelling up to 5-6 hours a day to help my step father navigate palli care for my mum. Both of whom are in deep denial that she's got less than six months. He actually said to me "well Miette (my daughter) lasted 22 months" yep she did but she had radiation to extend her life. They estimated 6 months with radiation but she's still the longest survivor of her cancer. But mum can't have chemo or even radiation as her heart and lungs wouldn't take it. It's a frustrating and difficult time. But all good, we expect our parents to die before us. It's life and at 77 she has had 70 more years than her granddaughter. 💗😂💗

We've not made lots of soap in the last month as due to life. I'm struggling just to complete formulating for my diploma.

But we have done some awesome things. In September alone we have pumped out just over 200 bath bombs and around 100 shower bombs. As well as lots of shampoo and conditioner bars, lotions and a few experiments.

And this week I made some liquid soap paste with a difference. I added olive, coconut, castor and vitamin E around the usual % but I added 5% hemp, 5% moringa oil and 5% jojoba. I would have added more hemp. But I've learnt if I add over 10% it's too green. I know Dr Bronners are using it but I believe the percentage to be really small. I wish I knew but I've tried from 20% and I settled ages ago on leaving it out. But decided I'd have another stab. It's got the slightest green tinge but it's hardly noticeable. I still think the colour isn't the same but it's **** close.

I have missed reading your lives and adventures. ♥♥

View attachment 61304
Sorry about your Mama. You have been busy' wow most impressive.

Im busy making labels for my soap's. One soap is so ugly I'm contemplating calling it ugly duckling but it smells wonderful I used two different mint scent's, hubby thinks it smells like a Christmas tree, maybe I'll call it ugly duckling Christmas tree. :lol::rolling:

Last edited:
Making a rainbow layered soap and it started to thicken badly. Not wanting to waste the soap I opted to pipe the leftovers on top:
71798BC5-F0AA-427E-B86D-5819BC6C8BDC.jpeg06CF9023-B04D-4517-94F1-3BA55CCD9AA7.jpeg

@KiwiMoose No, I don't believe you this is unintentional 🙉

If (=when) you are planning to have such an “accident” again, you might consider to pipe the “macaroons” not starting from a short side, but a long side, so that, after cutting, each bar gets a fair bit of rainbow effect.

@KiwiMoose No, I don't believe you this is unintentional 🙉

If (=when) you are planning to have such an “accident” again, you might consider to pipe the “macaroons” not starting from a short side, but a long side, so that, after cutting, each bar gets a fair bit of rainbow effect.
OK I will remember that next time I'm in a panic with thickening batter :rolleyes:

When I was washing and putting away my soap dishes, I realized I grabbed the 1/2 teaspoon instead of the teaspoon to measure my mica. So I accidentally put in way less mica than I was supposed to 😳 so not colorful as I wanted, but still pretty and smells wonderful! I kinda have a love/hate relationship with my soap loaf ends. They always have the best of the pattern.
2263C990-3266-4555-A76B-5901B887D7BB.jpeg

482346CA-AC9D-475D-8475-950A1A6BE4D7.jpeg

Absolutely pretty, @violets2217 ! No idea how much more intense you have aimed for the colours, but I find the dosage very tasteful.

And that dragonfly stamp is cute 🤩. Only today I nearly hit a dragonfly (a rare guest in a garden with no standing waters nearby) sitting on the stairs in front of the house, sunbathing.

I just love Nuture Soap… got an order recently for a soap I have planned and just ordered what I needed (I promise, I did!!!) and I’m convinced they actually put thought into the free gift they add! It went perfectly with the micas I order and it’s a bea
Today I’m experimenting with adding citric acid to my soap and trying out a new fragrance oil (Riesling Berry Slush from NG) and some micas to see if they are what I thought they’d be.
View attachment 61312

Gonna try a OPW again… 🤞

@Zing the bottom left is Nurture Soap’s Mayan Gold. It’s not too sparkly though, but we will see when I cut it!

ETA…I added the Citric Acid dissolved in water to my oils like @DeeAnna recommends on the Classic Bells Soapy Stuff website. My oils & lye were at around 85/90 degrees. When I added the lye and stirred a bit with a spatula it heated up to 98 degrees. Is that normal? I got a little worried, but as I stick blended and stirred my batter stayed pretty fluid. But still, it heated up pretty quickly and I started sweating!
Hi! I’ve never added Citric Acid mixed in Water to my Oils. How did it turn out - Oil & Water? I add & dissolve mine in my Distilled Water prior to adding Lye.

Hi! I’ve never added Citric Acid mixed in Water to my Oils. How did it turn out - Oil & Water? I add & dissolve mine in my Distilled Water prior to adding Lye.
It worked out fine… just heated up a bit initially. The bars seem to be their norm at un-molding and cutting. Next time I might try the dissolved solution in with my lye next time and let it cool down per usual. Thanks!
And that dragonfly stamp is cute 🤩. Only today I nearly hit a dragonfly (a rare guest in a garden with no standing waters nearby) sitting on the stairs in front of the house, sunbathing.
Love my dragonfly! They are such beautiful creatures! And they swarm our yard here and dive bomb my kids (pre-teens) and they run away screaming! It’s so fun to watch! I’m pretty excited just got a dragonfly pull-through plate & can't wait to try it out! Just need to decide on color palette…😳🧐
Not more intense colors just more defined. The were four different micas… and I think if I’d put the full amount I think the colors wouldn’t have blended so well. The batter was thick enough not to blend together. Anyways… I’m liking the colors a lot! So bright and cheery!

Last edited:
Not more intense colors just more defined. The were four different micas… and I think if I’d put the full amount I think the colors wouldn’t have blended so well. The batter was thick enough not to blend together. Anyways… I’m liking the colors a lot! So bright and cheery!
Ahh, ok. That makes sense. On the first glance it appeared to me nearly like a stepwise ombré OPW. Mildest form of stepwise colour gradient, but it fits well together. Also in mind that pink and yellow are two colours that don't have to blend well into each other. But it works well for you 😀

I kinda have a love/hate relationship with my soap loaf ends. They always have the best of the pattern.
Guilty as well 😉. I just hadn't had the heart to withhold the public the dirty end piece of my mini drop swirl (left, planed off just 2 mm to get an even face).

When I was washing and putting away my soap dishes, I realized I grabbed the 1/2 teaspoon instead of the teaspoon to measure my mica. So I accidentally put in way less mica than I was supposed to 😳 so not colorful as I wanted, but still pretty and smells wonderful! I kinda have a love/hate relationship with my soap loaf ends. They always have the best of the pattern.
View attachment 61322

View attachment 61323
Looks like a sunset!

View attachment 61322

View attachment 61323
FWIW I love the pastels. This is just gorgeous

Cut my peppermint soap. Was a pass-the-time soap, easy peasy. I have a whole bunch of peppermint crumbles. They didnt come out quit as realistic to do the peppermint bark pieces that i wanted to make. My fault on that. I got impatient and ran the knife through the thin red and white slabs like i was chopping herbs. The soap started to mush up lol.

4D0483C5-30B9-4F8A-AB7C-1ABCBFCC73BB.png

Latest posts

Back