What soapy thing have you done today?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not exactly soapy, but maybe close enough... I made a small batch of Epsom Salt Bath Cakes for a friend who wants to give them as a gift to her husband. He's been coming home very sore after working long hours at a delivery job. These were lightly scented with Oakmoss Sandalwood - perfect for that guy who needs a post-work recovery soak. The batch was a little too wet, so the mooncake press details didn't come out very sharp... and one at the back fell apart when I moved the tray. Oops. But they are already hardening well enough that I should be able to deliver them to her tomorrow morning at church. :)

IMG_1256.JPG

Not exactly soapy, but maybe close enough... I made a small batch of Epsom Salt Bath Cakes for a friend who wants to give them as a gift to her husband. He's been coming home very sore after working long hours at a delivery job. These were lightly scented with Oakmoss Sandalwood - perfect for that guy who needs a post-work recovery soak. The batch was a little too wet, so the mooncake press details didn't come out very sharp... and one at the back fell apart when I moved the tray. Oops. But they are already hardening well enough that I should be able to deliver them to her tomorrow morning at church. :)

View attachment 55319

Awesome! You are a good egg @AliOop ā™„ļø

Thanks! I always worry I'm going on too much, but I love reading other people's experiences so I hope mine are useful to someone too!

I actually lost the battle with myself already... I am a weak-willed mortal and the Indian food took an hour to get here šŸ¤Ŗ

I may have peaked, best put away my soaping equipment now, lol! But it's awesome to have a soap come out just how I had imagined it:
View attachment 55315

Or as someone once said, "I love it when a plan comes together!" šŸ˜Ž
Really impressive straight layers!

Not today, but yesterday I had an absolute disaster while getting my oils ready for a batch of soap. I put the palm oil in the microwave to get it melted and when I went to pull it out it fell over and poured out all over the inside of the microwave and then poured down onto my range šŸ˜« What a greasy mess!

Thanks! I always worry I'm going on too much, but I love reading other people's experiences so I hope mine are useful to someone too!

I actually lost the battle with myself already... I am a weak-willed mortal and the Indian food took an hour to get here šŸ¤Ŗ

I may have peaked, best put away my soaping equipment now, lol! But it's awesome to have a soap come out just how I had imagined it:
View attachment 55315

Or as someone once said, "I love it when a plan comes together!" šŸ˜Ž
Very Pretty.

Whatever it takes to keep your mold straight I guess....

The inside SHOULD be nice. It better be LOL
View attachment 55321
Love the beautiful yellow color. šŸ’«šŸ§¼

The tallow from the butcher was finished this morning so I took it for a test drive!

Made a small batch (4 bars) with the intention of giving one to the butcher and one to my dad if they come out nice, so it's a 'manly' scent:
10 parts sandalwood, 4 parts each bergamot and frankincense, one part patchouli.

I tried @Zing's mica layer trick but I think I was too tentative with the mica, the lines are very faint!

IMG_20210321_175321.jpg

It all behaved very nicely though, I've been experimenting with low water and actually remembered to put in the sodium lactate, so it traced slowly, gave me plenty of time for the pouring, and was ready to cut about 4 hours later! Nice and solid too, and no zap from the scraps I tested.

Good way to wrap up the week šŸ˜„

Whatever it takes to keep your mold straight I guess....

The inside SHOULD be nice. It better be LOL
View attachment 55321
I've got that same tea towel!!!
I made a very thick triple layer cardboard box to fit that mold when I used to use it so that it didn't bow. So annoying.

Thanks everyone for your kind thoughts and commiserations!
I've ordered 3 more bottles of the FO from the expensive supplier. That should mean 10 batches of soap. That is surely enough to overcome Murphy's Law. :rolleyes::)
The batch where I left out the silicone impression matt was absolutely perfect - of course!!!!!

When your phone stops autocorrecting ā€œsoaperā€ to ā€œdiaperā€, and starts autocorrecting ā€œsuperā€ to ā€œsoaperā€, and then you type ā€œIā€™m soaper exhaustedā€ and just leave it, because it WORKS!
First market in the books.

Attachments

• 8AEF2856-002A-418E-A61E-CAD78D0E6038.jpeg
    8AEF2856-002A-418E-A61E-CAD78D0E6038.jpeg
    246.6 KB · Views: 36
When your phone stops autocorrecting ā€œsoaperā€ to ā€œdiaperā€, and starts autocorrecting ā€œsuperā€ to ā€œsoaperā€, and then you type ā€œIā€™m soaper exhaustedā€ and just leave it, because it WORKS!
Boy do I know that feeling! I hope it was successful.

Congrats' hope you had a wonderful 1st Day. šŸ§¼šŸ’«šŸ¤—

šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚ How did it go? Canā€™t wait to hear! ā™„ļø

First day back at work so not much soap made today (so far!) Just a small batch of soap dough this morning.

Then I decided to get sensible and take stock of all the shavings and see what works be suitable for confetti soap. Turns out I have a lot of shavings! After grouping by compatible colours and scents I want to do something with these (below) but I'm feeling must more anxious about this than all the crazy stuff I did last week šŸ¤Ŗ
IMG_20210322_184503.jpg

Edit: after all that agonising I ended up making what must be the ugliest soap ever made!

IMG_20210322_202513.jpg

It was meant to be black and copper... In case you can't quite tell from the picture, it looks like gray mud and what I'll charitably call brown mud...

I also suspect it of planning to be my first ever volcano so will be watching its ugly ass like a hawk šŸ§

Edit 2: after cutting the Ugliest Soap in the Worldā„¢, it's not entirely as bad as I feared... It's still bad, but it could have been worse.

IMG_20210322_215100.jpg

At least the colours are still separate in the body of the soap, and you can tell that I was trying to do "something". (Not that, but something)

Last edited:
I recently melted down some M&P and tested Avobath and Oat Milk & Honey (NYScent) as well as NG's Garden Mint & Cucumber amd NS' Eucalyptus Mint. I surprisinlgly like Oat Milk & Honey. Eucalyptus Mint is ok but not my thing, Garden Mint is annoying me with it's sweetness, and I absolutely hate the Avobath. I think I have learned that I have a tendency to LOATHE citrus scents. Is there a worst word than loathe that does not require expletives to be used?

Good Morning Happy Tuesday: Yesterday I made a Citrus Scented CP Soap In My New Biggest Silicone Mold From BB' & It Un-Molded like a dream. The soap partially gelled' I put it in the oven on the lowest temp' seamed to fix it somewhat not completely but its ok. Hope the scent sticks' I used several kinds of citrusy EO's & one FO, I also marinated it in rose clay about 2 hrs before soaping & it Smells divine. šŸ’«šŸ§¼šŸ‹.

I'm still waiting for my Pine Tar' ugh taking for ever' I could of had it allready if I would of ordered off of amazon. Patience is a virtue šŸ¤£šŸ˜ƒšŸ’«.

Attachments

• 8424FFF1-1053-4412-99D9-3063E6CA9ED6.jpeg
    8424FFF1-1053-4412-99D9-3063E6CA9ED6.jpeg
    111.8 KB · Views: 25

Latest posts

Back