What size for "guest" soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dreamer

Reaction score
I am not sure if this is the right part of the forum to post this question. Someone with an AirBnB asked me to make them guest soaps. I have some smaller molds, but they are not considered officially the guest size and hold about 1.2ozs in each cavity. Looking online at different soap molds, they come in many different sizes and are still called "guest". I have seen some that are rectangular and hold about .5 ozs. Do those sound like they are the right size? It has been a very long time since I stayed in a motel/hotel so am not sure about the size for those type of soaps. I would like to offer the person 2 different sizes, but am not sure if the .5 oz may not be too small. Any of you have experience in the size of the guest soaps? TIA!

A mold like this would allow you to make bars that are 2 x 1.25 x however thick you want to cut them. The one thing I'd be sure of is to not make it too small to use comfortably.

I got these from Amazon. I love them. They hold about 1.5 oz. Depending on my recipe (softer recipes will stick), they're pretty easy to unmold and clean.
Screenshot_2018-07-02-11-55-30.jpeg

I'm at work now but I can post a pic later of a recent soap I made to give you a better idea of the actual bar size if you'd like.

Last edited:
As a frequent traveler who stays in various and sundry hotels, motels, resorts, time shares and as a soapmaker as well, I have something to contribute regarding 'guest-size' soap. For me hotel soaps that are less than 0.8 ounces are too small for comfortable use in the bath or shower. There are actually some cheap motels that provide guest soaps about 1/2 ounce or less and they are good only for handwashing IMO; too small for comfortable use in the shower even once. (Actually, I rarely even use motel soaps that small, being the soap snob that I have become. But I used to use them.)

I bring my own tiny travel soaps (slivers, basically, weighing less than half an ounce) that I use as hand soap when traveling. They are just too small for bathing, though. But I can leave them behind without qualms because they are so small to start. For me a half ounce hand soap will last a few days in a hotel/motel if I stay that long.

But for bathing or showering, I prefer at least 1-2 ounces, so usually bring soap about 1.5 to 2 ounce size. That usually lasts me several baths/showers while traveling. It becomes a hand soap later in the trip.

So I think your two sizes would work for a bath soap and a hand soap. Some hotels label the two sized soaps they provide as 'bath soap' for the larger one and the smaller as 'facial soap'. Often they look and smell and feel like they are the same recipe, but in some of the nicer hotels and resorts, they are actually entirely different soaps.

Thank you each and every one of you - so helpful! After reading all of the above, I will definitely skip the .5oz. I think I will just get either the single larger mold and cut them to the width I want, as suggested, or get the individual ones. Or both! Then I can show the owners each one and they can choose. Thank you again!

Latest posts

Back