What size do you like your bars?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AshleyR

Reaction score
I have been cutting my bars 3.5" x 2.5" x 1" for a long time. They look like a standard bar of soap and fit into most soap boxes I've tried.

I don't really like the shape of them, though. I find they're too skinny and don't seem to last as long as some of the chunkier bars I've tried. I'm thinking about starting to cut them 2" x 2" x 3.25". They'd be taller and wider.... like a rectangular block of soap.

Since I'm going to be selling my soaps soon, I really need to get my sizing down pat. DH is also making me a whole bunch of new wooden log molds soon, and I need to decide what dimensions I want my soap to be once and for all. I'm curious what size the rest of you like your soaps to be? Just because I think I'll like the chunkier bars better, I wonder if customers would prefer the more common "soap bar" size.

Pictures of your soap are appreciated!!! :D

Thanks!

Mine are 2.5 x 3.5 x 1 and I'm quite happy with them. I also have a extra large bar size that is about 1 lb of soap square -very decorative and I've had "some" interest. I find most people want a usuable bar of soap that fits in their hands comfortably. I even had one lady complain because no-one makes smaller bars of soaps for little hands like hers... :shock:

I'm still trying out moulds of different sizes and my new silicon one is yet to arrive. Maybe settling for one mould is a bad thing? when it comes to selling I think it would cool if there was more than one size. Of course this could complicate things but it'd give the customer a choice over prices/sizes. Or cutting the bars into different sizes? I think Im drifting now

Your chunkier sized soap sounds better to me, and like you say would last longer! Which would be better to package and merchandise? As you are going to be selling you have that to think about too!

But on the other hand selling smaller bars at a smaller price might make people buy more? It's a tough one

Mine are the same dimensions as yours in width & height but I cut them almost 1 1/2 inches thick so that after curing, they're right at 1 1/4 in thickness. I like em a little on the hefty side & they last quite a while.

AshleyR,

I cut my bars the same size as yours. When I brought a bar into work, the only "negative" comment I received was from one coworker who felt that it was too big to fit comfortably in her hand.

On the other hand, one of my husband's coworkers felt the bar was too small because he and his wife were fighting over it!

Sorry I can't be of any help. Just goes to show there's no one right way to do things! :)

Jude

The 3.5" x 2.5" x 1 fits in the hand well. I like mine thicker though so they do last longer as you stated above, maybe 3.5" x 2.5" x 1.5

I have a bar of chunky soap in my bath right now that is 2x2x3 & it actualy makes me angry. It's hard to manipulate being almost square, I can't find a nice way for it to fit in my hand. It smells really great but I am going to throw it out due to frustration.

Hi Ashley, If you look in the gallery of the pics I posted yesterday, the second picture. The coconut bar is 3.5 x 2.5 x 1. The other two are 3 x 2.5 x 1. There is only a slight difference but looks like a lot to me. (maybe not so in the pic.?)

Thanks everyone!

I think I like the 3.5 x 2.5 x 1.5 size. My bars have only been 1" thick and to me it's just not "enough"! I want them a little thicker.

I ended up cutting a batch I made last night into 3.5 x 2.25 x 1.75 bars (which I thought I'd like) but they do look and feel TOO bulky. Even my DH said "those are HUGE bars!!"

I think I'll stick to 3.5 x 2.25 x 1.5 - maybe even 1.25.

I think I am the odd one out here. I really don't like the size of most handmade soap as I feel it is too big. I like mine about half the size and I end up cutting bars in half when I buy any.

I also always found Dove too big, allthough with round-ish bars I am not too bad, as they can be rolled in the hand to get good lather.

I cut my own bars the size you have for giving them away, but if I use them myself I prefer to cut them in half.

The ones I hate the most are the rectangular cubes. They really don't fit into my hand while washing my hands and they hurt when they fall on my feet in the shower (I am a bit sleepy most mornings)

Hello!
I don't like too big bars, because they're too heavy, and since I don't keep them in a soap holder, but I hang them under my bathroom mirror and in the shower with a magnet, when they are too big they fell down (and in the shower they hurt my feet).
Ciao
Vale

I've been experimenting with bar sizes and I tend to like smaller bars. I like 3.5 x 2.25 x 1 1/16-1/8. I also make smaller bars like 3 x 2 x 1, which I think are fun to use. I've actually never cut my bars thicker than 1 1/8, but 1.25 thick seems like it would be a good size too.

My bars are 3 x 2.25 x 1.25. They are nice and chunky and weigh right around 5 oz give or take.

I used to do the standard too. Decided I don't care for the standard size so much so I went chunky all the way! :D

Back