What qualifies a soapmaker to be an "artisan"?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's problematic enough for a brand new soaper to start selling their 3rd batch. But I've been seeing an awful lot of (and bought from) obviously new soapers with the word "Artisan" boldly slashed across their label.

I've been making soap for almost 2 years and have at least that much longer before I'd even begin to think I might deserve that title.

What do you think qualifies a person to be an artisan?

An over-inflated sense of delusional accomplishment? I look at all soaps as artisan in a sense because you've taken the time to create and make something yourself and in many cases, you may have perfected your recipe to be perfect for you and yours.

I personally think it's borderline obnoxious (to say the least) to package soap with "artisan" in the label and you've been making soap but a wee 3 months. That would suggest that I should start selling soaps (no way but I will make some for your provided you supply me with what you want in it.)

To me, the word 'artisan' has always meant someone who makes things by hand, and with there being a certain level of knowledgeable/expert skill involved.

I don't sell, but I do label all my soapie gifts, and I used to label them as being 'artisan-crafted', but when you see just about everything on the store shelves these days being labeled as 'Artisan', from Doritos to chocolate bars to ice cream, to tomato seeds (yes, tomato seeds- check out this link: http://www.johnnyseeds.com/p-9694-artisan-tomato-collection.aspx, ), you know the term has kinda lost it's meaning. lol I now label mine as 'Handmade' or 'Hand-crafted'.

IrishLass :)

I think it's silly to call things that aren't handmade Artisan, especially seeds. Did they actually make the seeds themselves? To me, artisan means handmade with obvious skill, producing a product that is beautiful and unique.

An over-inflated sense of delusional accomplishment? I look at all soaps as artisan in a sense because you've taken the time to create and make something yourself and in many cases, you may have perfected your recipe to be perfect for you and yours.

I personally think it's borderline obnoxious (to say the least) to package soap with "artisan" in the label and you've been making soap but a wee 3 months. That would suggest that I should start selling soaps (no way but I will make some for your provided you supply me with what you want in it.)
It does not matter how long you make it, it does matter what quality of product and creativity too. Picasso paintings the first ones go for millions even he was not much of painter at the time, rather the student of art

I think the "art" in artisan is more in keeping with "artifact" or "artifice" (i.e. made by people) than fine art.

In which case I have no trouble with the label "artisan" or "artisinal" for any object made by the person themselves. Cold- and hot-process soap, custom cabinetry, hand thrown pottery, etc etc.

I think the murkiness comes in when you have a small-batch, hands on process that's more automated or decorative. Is melt-and-pour soap artisinal? Some of it is downright gorgeous and intricate, but the soap wasn't made by the crafter. Slip-casting can be a by-hand operation, but the pottery itself isn't really created by hand, as I think of it. So on and so forth.

In general, though, I support a looser definition of terms as long as they don't imply a specific set of qualifications. And "artisan soap maker" really just implies that you made it yourself. Competence, quality and the rest have to speak for themselves.

It does not matter how long you make it, it does matter what quality of product and creativity too. Picasso paintings the first ones go for millions even he was not much of painter at the time, rather the student of art

I will only be assured that a soap, or anything else that is made with perishables, is of a good quality after a year or more's worth of observing. A 3 month long span of soap making will always leave me skeptical. I don't want to buy a soap, keep it around and find it went rancid at some point. That's irresponsible of a seller to offer products they are not 100% sure of.

I will only be assured that a soap, or anything else that is made with perishables, is of a good quality after a year or more's worth of observing. A 3 month long span of soap making will always leave me skeptical. I don't want to buy a soap, keep it around and find it went rancid at some point. That's irresponsible of a seller to offer products they are not 100% sure of.

You would probably have the same opinion about my soap, not knowing that I started selling 3 months ago....
You would not know looking at me that I have more than two and half year of observing and experimenting with it, and with lotion even more......do not be judgmental, it is easy to be. Is good to know the story from beginning to the end. I just used Picasso because i know a lot about art and it was an easy example for me:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

To me, the word 'artisan' has always meant someone who makes things by hand, and with there being a certain level of knowledgeable/expert skill involved.

I don't sell, but I do label all my soapie gifts, and I used to label them as being 'artisan-crafted', but when you see just about everything on the store shelves these days being labeled as 'Artisan', from Doritos to chocolate bars to ice cream, to tomato seeds (yes, tomato seeds- check out this link: http://www.johnnyseeds.com/p-9694-artisan-tomato-collection.aspx, ), you know the term has kinda lost it's meaning. lol I now label mine as 'Handmade' or 'Hand-crafted'.

Artisan tomato seeds????? Wth???? LOL. Oh vey!!

I love topics like this. I never get to have intellectual discussions in real life because no one I know seems to be interested in anything other than reality tv.

Sometimes I think you guys save my sanity by reminding me the world is out there, and engaging my oh so artsy fartsy nerdy brain :)

You would probably have the same opinion about my soap, not knowing that I started selling 3 months ago....
You would not know looking at me that I have more than two and half year of observing and experimenting with it, and with lotion even more......do not be judgmental, it is easy to be. Is good to know the story from beginning to the end. I just used Picasso because i know a lot about art and it was an easy example for me:mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

Selling and making are two different things. If you have been making soaps for more than a year and are new to selling, I'm more likely to trust your products. It shows me as a consumer that you took time and dedication to assure that what you are offering is your best. I have no problems if someone has been crafting soaps for a while but if they start selling soaps at the same time that started actually making them, unless it's a M&P soap, I will be a skeptic.

I'm not trying to be a complete jerk but I like to do the best I can for my skin and my child's as well. We both have varying levels of sensitivity. I can handle some FOs and my daughter benefits from EOS or unscented products. If I trust a vendor to sell me a soap that they say is good, you best to believe I will scrutinize that soap (on me first) every way I can before I use it on my daughter. If she benefits from it and if the soap lasts us a few weeks, then I'll sing your praises.

Again, I would never buy from a newbie (new soap maker) maybe except for a M&P but a newbie vendor is a horse of a different color. By the way, I'd actually be thrilled at a chance to try a new vendor's products. How else can we see you grow if we don't give you a chance?

I love topics like this. I never get to have intellectual discussions in real life because no one I know seems to be interested in anything other than reality tv.

Sometimes I think you guys save my sanity by reminding me the world is out there, and engaging my oh so artsy fartsy nerdy brain :)

I agree, tv is a new god for most people, while i hate it:))

Ok, hear me out, first the word artisan makes me think of bread. I guess that's where I see it used the most. And I don't even eat the stuff!!!! To me the word means "master of their craft" but just like the term "all natural", it's been morphed and over used so it really doesn't mean anything when slapped on a label. To the point of someone using the term after only making 3 batches of soap, it's marketing.

NOW, to my take on someone who is a newer soaper selling their soap, I think some of them are very brave. I DO NOT want to open the discussion of "when should you sell" since I have trolled this site and searched so many threads where I get the point and general beliefs of the forum. I do think that putting yourself out there doing any type of business on your own is incredibly brave and daring. It's so much work, so much effort, and opening yourself up to the world is terrifying. But still brave. I have purchased so many bars of soap from "experienced" soapers that have either melted away in two washing or just ended up smelling like crap. (Pardon my technical term). I believe in the faith of people's hearts, I believe that if they are opening themselves up to the world, they are brave. Whether it's soap or knitted item, candles or jewelry, to open up shop and take on the world is very scary.

I don't sell typically, I give so much away, I don't care. (Although my check book does!) I love when people use my soap. Now, I am going to do a charity/craft fair at my nieces school in two weeks, everyone one there is friend or family, my take on this is I will donate some money, hopefully make a bit for the soap kitty. I'm ready to barf. How do people do it???? My husband thinks I am acting like I'm selling off my children. It's soap, but Noooooo, it is so much more. Opening yourself and your product up to the world is brave. Would I call my soap artisan? No way, do I call it soap, yup.

"...artsy fartsy nerdy brain..."

Truly funny, Gigi! I gotta remember this one. :mrgreen:

I DO NOT want to open the discussion of "when should you sell" since I have trolled this site and searched so many threads where I get the point and general beliefs of the forum.

One now needs only to read the following single thread to get the gist of our forum's general beliefs (we added it as a stickie just last month): http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=56833

When I see the word artisan on items it makes me think of homemade only. Often I imagine homemade with talent though tbh

When I see a product that says artisan, I have high expectations for it: handmade with or without tools (leatherwork, jewelry, heck even shoeing horses, soap, bread), years spent perfecting skills, being able to take the raw ingredients and manipulate them into a predictable, quality, outcome.

If mass produced tortilla chips or newbie soap is called artisan, then we're going to need another word for products of excellent handmade quality.

To me, the word "artisan" on a product means that the package will be designed to appear rustic and I will be paying in the range of 10-25% more for said product than if it lacked the "artisan" label. :)

Which is to say that the word is used so often for label appeal, that it is as meaningful as "natural". Which really kind of stinks for the actual artisans out there.

I make bread using a recipe that was originally called artisan. It happens to taste exactly like my grandmother's rolls did my whole childhood. Does that make her rolls artisan? Or my bread? I don't really care. The taste and texture are perfect.

I also make crochet and loom knit items. I make them functional. I like color, so they get color. But my primary concern is the function. My favorite pattern for one item was originally called artisan. I don't really care. It is an easy and fast pattern that is colorful and very functional, both in the making and the use.

I think it is like William Shakespeare once said, "A rose by any other name would smell as sweet." Call your product what you like. I am going to look at it and judge for myself the craftsmanship and beauty.

Latest posts

Back