what kind of olive oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kamela

Reaction score
what kind of olive oil do you need to use for soapmaking? Regular or extra virgin? Thanks!

Either is fine - the darker the olive oil the darker the bar, though.

That is what I was thinking too but I wanted to get some input from some more experienced soap makers than myself as I haven't really been making soap for very long. Thanks for the info!!

I haven't been making soap long myself, but I remember reading that extra virgin is actually not a good choice for soap. I use Grade A. It has worked very well for me in the several batches I've made, but like I said, I'm a newbie.

I'm rather new as well, so (no offense SudsyKat!) I hope you're wrong! I just used a whole lotta EV oil because I ordered it by mistake. The soaps have come out great, but I have yet to use one.

I've used grade A, and I've used olive oil pomace. You don't need the extra expense of extra virgin for your soap. Just make sure its not adulterated and you'll be fine.

Glenolam - I say if it's working for you, stick with it. As someone after me mentioned, though, it is probably unnecessarily expensive. I say it's your call, since it seems to be working well for you. :D

I use EVOO, but that's because it's all I can find in the local stores. Haven't ordered any olive off the internet yet.

I use what ever is cheapest, too, but wasn't paying attention on the WSP site.... :oops:

I made a loaf of 100% Olive Oil Castile soap last weekand I used the dark EVOO.... at first I was kind of worried about the soap ending up dark and ukkky green colored. But, after pouring and then cutting the next day, I was rather surprised at how light it was. And, it seems as a week has gone by, it's curing up rather nicely and getting lighter and lighter. It's a pretty creamy color now. I was also afraid that it would be a rather soft bar too - but it's nice and firm. I'm rather anxious to see what it's going to look like after another 5 weeks have passed and it's completely cured.

We used virgin olive oil for the first few batches and although the soaps were nice it took forever to get to trace. Olive pomace is much cheaper and traces quicker, the soaps are still as nice. In my opinion there is no point to use extra virgin oil if it is going to be saponified, ok to superfat though ( adding at trace so it remains as it is in the soap).

There was a post a few days back about what type of OO to use. I use pomace. Someone said they had a problem with their castille batch made with pomace got DOS. Has anyone else had that problem? I like castille but my oldest one is only a few months old, too soon to know if it will go bad. I wanted to start making castille batches so they can spend their ridiculous amount of time curing but don't want to waste oil.

According to the Soapmakers Companion is says that the VOO has more unsaponifable (spel?) oils in it therefore it makes sense to use the VOO...
for me...I've been using either light olive or the pomace.

Back