What kind of mold do u prefer?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Flavapor said:
"...I love all my molds for different stuff, but I gotta tell ya, a lg brick of velveeta cheese box makes an awesome 2 or 3 inch square soap.

Oh, yeah! The absolutely PERFECT size! We don't eat velveeta but this almost
makes me want to go buy some!

My wooden loaf mold
My silicone one doesn't make perfect rectangles. They are always wider on one end.
I like the pringles cans but I'm thinking about upgrading to a pipe.
Make shift or hand made molds are the best you get what you want with out breaking the bank

Mockingbird,
I completely understand being poor! I also understand the urge to make some square bars :) I would take others suggestions and see if you can find a cardboard box to use. I keep eying the box that will take 3 lbs and debating whether I want to make that much soap in one batch.

Oh, yeah! The absolutely PERFECT size! We don't eat velveeta but this almost
makes me want to go buy some!

The box for a roll of freezer paper makes about the same size bar as velveeta. And you get many more bars out of it.

log_mold.jpg

Why do you hate it? I like the shiny sides silicon makes.

It worked great for about 5 loaves and then my soap started sticking and breaking off at the corners. It doesn't matter how clean the mold is, how much sodium lactate I use, how long I leave the soap in the mold, or how much mineral oil I slather inside the mold; that puppy is going to stick and tear my corners. I have 2 wood molds that I line and a 5 lb. wood mold with a silicone liner from BB that I prefer. That is, when I can find time to soap!

It worked great for about 5 loaves and then my soap started sticking and breaking off at the corners. It doesn't matter how clean the mold is, how much sodium lactate I use, how long I leave the soap in the mold, or how much mineral oil I slather inside the mold; that puppy is going to stick and tear my corners. I have 2 wood molds that I line and a 5 lb. wood mold with a silicone liner from BB that I prefer. That is, when I can find time to soap!

That's weird. I have 2 of the 8 inch silicone logs and apart from a partially gelled batch, I've never had a problem unmolding from my gelled soap (or ungelled with SL) in 24 hours.

Mockingbird,
I completely understand being poor! I also understand the urge to make some square bars :) I would take others suggestions and see if you can find a cardboard box to use. I keep eying the box that will take 3 lbs and debating whether I want to make that much soap in one batch.

I am sure I could jerry rig something! Love the aluminium roll box idea.

Last edited:

I found that my silicone molds (the 8"ish from WSP or BB) work better when they aren't cleaned. If there are any scraps, I rinse with water only and the wipe clean. I purchased a silicone lined mold from ebay (after seeing it on TheDish) that I like reasonably well. The silicone liner makes the soap really shiny. Not sure if I can put the link in... but search silicone lined mold, it pops up as 2nd or 3rd on page. It's a green liner in a wooden mold with a clear plexiglass cover. She said she made the wooden mold deeper than the silicone mold to allow for peaked tops, etc. It's a little awkward to pour into the mold, but I do like it. I really don't like lining molds, so I'm still on the quest for a reasonable priced silicone-lined mold that's larger.

Larger mold

Kharmon, in about a week we will have an 18" mold available on our website. It's just like the smaller mold you purchased, but longer! Also, the first mold boxes we designed for the longer mold are going to be discounted because we changed the design, so you can get an 18" loaf mold for a very reasonable price. :)

Thank you Cherry, I have been looking at different types of cutters and tried to figure out what would be the easiest type for me to handle and for a friend of mine to build. She is likely going to build a mold for me. I wonder if I can ask her to make a cutter for my birthday, if I can wait that long ;-)

Thank you Cherry, I have been looking at different types of cutters and tried to figure out what would be the easiest type for me to handle and for a friend of mine to build. She is likely going to build a mold for me. I wonder if I can ask her to make a cutter for my birthday, if I can wait that long ;-)

I am an impatient pants! I don't think I could wait that long! lol my bday is in June and I would go crazy! lol I really like this cutter. I like my loaf mold but I really want a slab mold with dividers. :) I thought about building one myself today. I just took the measurements off the BB website for the 9 bar birch slab and I am considering the idea of woodworking! lol Now, I just need to find a way to make my own dividers....hmmmmmm

I use a loaf mold my husband made me, velveeta boxes, silicone molds of various kinds, a crafters choice slab mold and a slab mold my husband made. I think my fav right now is the loaf mold.

When I first started I used a half gallon milk carton turned on its side. You can cut off the side and fix the top so its flat and tape it.....then you have a free loaf mold!

you can build one for ten dollars using a board, four accent molds for doors, and some gorilla glue. the plans are YouTube. I know Shannon has this one, I will see if I can find her video or the plans. I have this one too, but mine isn't pretty, lol. I used wood I had in my garage, sanded it down, glued it and called it done. It works okay but in retrospect I would have spend the money to buy the squares to make sure it was perfect.

Here's a vid to the one I am talking about:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8zhBLcHmLo[/ame]

I was eyeing that 5 pound mold from BB. More then likely I will get two of the two pound molds. I love the idea of silicon lined wood molds. Perfect to support the batter and easy cleanup. Then I thought, "oh well why not just get silicone molds, they are a touch more affordable? " But not worth it if the corners are always going to break. Do you mind if I ask which silicone ones you have? I will review this thread also to see if I asked already.

Latest posts

Back