What is your formal training?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I'm new to the Soap Making Forum, and I apologize if this question has been addressed before. I wasn't sure what search terms to use for it.

My question is this: What, if any, is your formal training in soap and/or bath and body product making? I do not in any way mean this question as a challenge. I have no formal training myself, and I'm wondering if it would be worth it to pursue some.

Do you have any kind of degree or certificate in anything related to soap/b&b-making? Have you taken classes or workshops for professional development (or when starting out)? If so, do you feel like it was worth it?

Right now I'm looking, for example, at a certificate program through the Department of Aromatherapy at the American College of Healthcare Sciences. The certificate is titled "Certificate in Natural Products Manufacturing" (see it here: https://www.achs.edu/academics/holi...te-natural-products-manufacturing-online-cnpm) and it looks like it would be very beneficial for what I'm interested in doing. But it carries a hefty price tag, costing well over $5000, and that's one of the more affordable accreditations you can get through that college. Some are over $20,000. Even for the $5000 one (which, regardless of the price, seems like it would be sufficient for my purposes), I'd probably have to take out some kind of loan to be able to afford it. So I'd need to be pretty confidant that it was going to pay off financially. I know no one can say for sure whether or not it will, but I'm just wondering about others' experiences.

So what's your story with regards to formal training? Are you a savvy pro in the field after never having taken a single class? Do you carry a college degree in aromatherapy and feel like it was a waste of money? Are there more affordable certificate programs out there that would be worth looking into?

Any information, stories, tips, warnings or advice is welcome. Thanks!

I am new and I do not have any degrees but I looked into this one: http://www.evergladesuniversity.edu/alternative-medicine-degree.asp I signed up and they started teaching about homeopathy and I do not really believe in it so I stopped classes.

The program you mentioned says aromatherapy manufacturer and Im curious what the class is about. Ive looked into how they make essential oils and I do not see any money in making them because of the amount of resin needed.

Im really interested in learning on my own and even paying for courses by instructors without earning a degree. A background in science like microbiology would help more in formulating some of the recipes.

I just discovered this site; http://swiftcraftymonkey.blogspot.ca/ and its full of free information that will probably keep me busy for a long time :)

Hello and welcome. I am a self-taught soap maker and dabbler in other bath and body stuff. There is so much to learn on the internet, I am not sure it would be as cost effective to get a formal degree in aromatherapy. You could buy a whole LOT of bath and body making supplies with the amount that you are investing in a degree. I vote for a few great books, even Otion's weekend workshop would teach you a ton!

Now that I am typing this I have taken a lotion making class, which was GREAT because it taught me the basics for that, but for the rest (soap making, lotion bars, ect.) I have researched and learned online, including this forum! There is alot to know... check out YOUTUBE, Soap Queen, and Soaping 101. There are tons of tutorials and information out there for you to try for the amount of money that you are looking at investing in a degree.

Self-taught soapmaker. With LOTS of help from books and more importantly good soap forums. Listening (reading) to and applying what soapers with much more experience taught me. Oh and NOT applying the techniques shown by Nancy Today, ha ha!

Self taught here as well. For something like soapmaking, in fact for a lot of certified things, the best education is just putting yourself out there and doing it. Hands on experience. Im certified in graphic design but i learned nothing i didnt already know from self teaching myself and juat having a great passion for it. To me it is a waste of money when you can get a "job" making soap without any degrees. Unless you just want to be able to tell people you have a certificate. But $5000 for basically bragging rights is a little much, for me anyway. Something that may be more helpful is a class in entreprenureship or marketing. Just my thoughts anyway. Knowledge is never a bad thing. Take the class if you think it is worth it, but i can guarentee there is plenty of free information out there in books or this huge internet world. :)

No official degree in soap making, but a lot of research and several years of experimenting.

Something that may be more helpful is a class in entreprenureship or marketing.

Totally agree with this! (espically as a business/marketing teacher!) Look into an AA in business or marketing and then go from there, it's the universal degree that can be used in any field!

Latest posts

Back