What inspired you to start soap making?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was tired of paying for so called moisturizing soaps that left my skin red, blotchy & tight. I thought I could make something better & my skin is happy that I did!

I have allergic and extremely sensitive skin and have never been able to use commercial soaps, milk baths, bath oils, etc. so I started making my own bath products. I played with MP but it didn't quite satisfy my preference to make things from scratch. I started making soap just about 4 years ago and I have never looked back.

I love all the different things I can make and how these products can be used. It is an amazing adventure that even led me to becoming a Certified Clinical Aromatherapist. Enjoy the ride.

I had taken some sleeping pills before bed and they give me terrible dreams. I had a dream about making soap and I couldn't ever shake the feeling after that and just had to do it.

I was inspired by the soap I bought at a local farmers' market. It was so nice to use, and I noticed that it cleared up my face. I have always had combination skin, and even at the age of 40, I still sometimes would get pimples and had large pores. This soap I bought was amazing. Unfortunately, I couldn't always buy it, and then I moved away. I mainly started making soap because I wanted to learn how to make the soap like I bought at the farmers' market for myself so I could still use it. Anyway, before I started soaping, I read some books and followed some soaping blogs. I started using Pinterest to keep track of recipes I really like and information I wanted to keep. Then, once I moved and settled in, I bought all the equipment and just started making soap. My third batch of soap was a lemongrass sage soap, and once I started using it, I discovered it was even better for my face than the soap I had bought at the farmers' market! It was so exciting. I am so hooked! I have really enjoyed trying new things. My sister made soap a few years back, but I don't think she's made some in a while. She seems to be interested in starting again, so maybe when she and I get together again, we can make some soap together.

Some twenty years ago, Zest changed their formula and my family started breaking out in rash and dry skin. So I made some soap from the Red Devil lye can and it was a hit with family and kids. Then I got very busy at my job and I kind of got over the urge to continue. It was before all this info was available.
I recently retired and decided to pick it up again and so here I am. Having a ball. I have a business but just starting and giving away much of my soap right now. But Dear Daughter has resteraunts and sells my soaps there. I guess I'm crafty but don't consider myself artistc. I struggle with labeling and wrapping. I'm now printing labels on puter and just banding them. I used to order soap from the famous french company in Canada but their prices have gone up dramatically. I will keep making my own. I don't tell Dear Husband that I also buy from fellow soapers. lol

I had sore skin from using a twintub washing machine many years ago, so using shop bought soap made my hands worse, I used to make candles, so it was the next move, i bought a book and have not looked back since.

Can I just say I vote for Taylor for best story? :lol:

I got obsessed with virgin coconut oil (still am) and wanted to make some sort of beauty product out of it (at a friend's suggestion). I've always thought there was something kind of magical/mysterious/classy about a nice bar of soap, so researched how to do it. Burned my first batch, had to throw away my second, but have never looked back.

Also, can I say that I was genuinely surprised at how warm the soap making community is. I feel like it's a certain type of person who gets in to the craft, and they are generally the good type.

I agree, I think Taylor's story is the best so far. A dream? good for you!

So I found myself laid off from my engineering job and staring at a huge vat of recycled oil. A recent conversation with DH indicated we both preferred bar soap (vs liquid soap) for showering. So I made soap in an effort towards both recycling and self sufficiency.

Now I make soap because it is the best that I can get. I have a chemistry background, so I really get into formulating for different purposes, looking at the fatty acid compositions, the types of fatty acids, and so on. I was surprised to find out that my skin is not as dry as I thought, using my soap gives me great feeling skin.

I have a large herb garden and a lot of it goes into my soaps. This is both challenging and rewarding.

I recently went into business, and now I have many customers enjoying my soap too. I love getting feedback from them. I use the feedback to continue improving my soaps, and adding more fragrances.

Back