Solid perfume questions

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you @Ephemerella @bwtapestry @Ochre+Co

@Ochre+Co I saw the Steamer Trunk recipe yesterday and it sounds nice. Will try when I get more containers. Do you increase the oils when you use Candelilla wax?

@Ephemerella extra smooth and extra points for the movie! I’ve read that cera bellina (polyglycerol-3 beeswax) and a few other products will reduce or eliminate the graininess of shea. See this thread for more infomation.

@bwtapestry fudge looks yummy! The book is already in my Amazon cart. I have the tins I need to make Spoon/Wood Butter and was going back and forth about using a food grade oil like HO Sunflower or mineral oil. I’m going to try the FCO instead.
Nope. I used the same ratios.

@Ochre+Co I found a tin and just made a small bit of HumbleBee & Me‘s Steamer Trunk. I really like it, but the blend is not very IFRA friendly using EOCalc.com. Both the bergamot (FCF/Bergaptene free) and nutmeg go into the red zome really quickly. 🙁

@Ochre+Co I found a tin and just made a small bit of HumbleBee & Me‘s Steamer Trunk. I really like it, but the blend is not very IFRA friendly using EOCalc.com. Both the bergamot (FCF/Bergaptene free) and nutmeg go into the red zome really quickly. 🙁
I didn’t follow her guide for the essential oils because I knew how I wanted mine to smell. I’ve used fragrance oils in place of her essential oils, mostly because I didn’t have the same ones she mentioned but also because the IFRA rates for the scents I wanted to use were able to be used at 9% for perfumes.

I just made a solid perfume with patchouli, sandalwood, rosewood and vetiver. Wow, is it nice. I bought the tiniest bottle of sandalwood from Camden Grey, just so I would be able to smell the real deal one time, but now I may be hooked on the real deal for perfume, if not soap. If I’m lucky, I will be able to make a few more tiny batches with what I have. Rosewood is not in EOcalc so I used Tisserand & Young’s Essential Oil Safety book as a guide for safe usage.

@Mobjack Bay, when you're ready to do the cera bellina tests, you may want to get some Lauryl Laurate to test along side it. I stumbled across it years ago, it is "a solid, fast melting ester that will give a dry and powdery feel on the skin and when combined with other oils and esters it will help to "de-grease" formulations while still providing slip. When a formula containing it touches the skin, this ester melts giving instant glide" (from Lotioncrafter's product description.)

It's been a long time since I used cera bellina, but I think I remember using it to gel oils, this really works more to degrease and sort of liquefy hard oils/waxes a tiny bit (you use tiny amounts of the LL or it makes the formula runny). I like adding to my lotion bars. Anyway worth checking out, I think. The easiest places to get it are Lotioncrafter and TKB.

@not_ally Funny you should bring this up just now. I was just reading about using cetyl alcohol in place of some of the wax, e.g. in lotion bars, for what sounds like a similar effect. Link I plan to give it a try, but the lauryl laurate also sounds interesting. Now, if I can just remember to order some when I finally get around to ordering from Lotioncrafter!

Latest posts

Back