what does unscented soap smell like?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pawfect

Reaction score
I bought some homemade goats milk soap from a seller, to use on my face, and it smells awful. Like burnt vomit!!

Is that what it's supposed to smell like?

Re: what does unscented soap supposed to smell like?

i make goat milk soap that's unsented. After it has cured 4-6 weeks it smells wonderful; clean, a little sweet (think cream), and Im not being a jerk but it smells like...soap. I havent been at this long enough to know what would make soap smell like vomit. By vomit do you mean a bitter acidic smell? are there any other ingredients in the soap that may cause it? and were there any other problems with the soap?

Freshly made goat milk soap can smell really bad. But like thefarmerdaughter said, after it cures the smell goes away.

Thanks for your replies. I've only done M&P soaping myself, but would like to make soap from scratch so bought some homemade ones to try out & compare.

I'm not sure if it was CP or HP, but the soap had a label saying it was made end of June. Ingredients were coconut, sunflower, canola, flax seed, castor oils, goats milk & lye. The smell is hard to describe, but is acidic & definitely smells burnt - almost chemical, like burnt plastic.

Should I throw it out? I def won't be using it on my face or on my baby, which is what I wanted it for!

ive screwed up a few batches lol, but never had a burnt plastic smell... what color is the soap? milk soaps have an added difficulty. lye + liquid = heat high heat+ milk = big nasty mess. the milk can be burnt the resulting soap can be orangey/brown. i havent had this happen to me (yet) But I have seen that type of soap for sale, with a popular online retailor. If I was unsure about a product i wouldnt use it on my babies, trust your mommy gut!

Thanks. The seller is open to feedback, so I might say something to her. The soap is a tan colour, like cloudy honey.

Latest posts

Back