What do you use to cut your CP soaps?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You know, the only reason I never bought a wavy cutter, is because, for some reason, I'm not a huge fan of them. It must somehow stem from my childhood, when I'd watch my mother spend, what seemed like hours, to make, what seemed like random little art projects.

Oh, my poor little girl! I'm glad she's going to school next year. At least she understands what I'm doing. As a child, I'd ask, "mother, what on earth are you doing?"

Back to cutting soap. I'm loving every answer.

I use a miter box and soap cutter, and yet can still not cut straight to save my life!! I'm trying to get hubby to build me a soap cutter with the wires and all.

I use a big kitchen knife. Once, I tried dental floss. It cut the soap well, but I had an awful time trying to keep it straight. I do a lot better with the knife.

Rachel, I agree. I have clay wire, because I'm a sculptor. I imagine it's as good as anything else. I don't really want to try it for soap, though, because I'm afraid I'm going to butcher a whole batch. When I use it on my clay, I have a hard enough time really controlling where it will go.

I just got a regular cutter at AC Moore and used a 55% off coupon. they did have the wavy one there as well. I will bevel the edges with a tool I had for leather work.

I started with an old kitchen knife and a ruler to mark my lines prior to cutting...but it's not straight. Then I got a wavy cutter from ebay, and recently got a dough scraper for straight lines. I am going to ask my F-I-L if he can cut notches into one of the wooden molds he made me in 1 inch markings. He made me 2 of the exact same mold..I figure one of them can be trial and errored :)

I use my big, sharp Cutco kitchen knife, a ruler, and lots and lots of tick marks to help me cut in a straight line all the way down.

IrishLass :)

I still use my kitchen knife!! Lol and I've gotten pretty accurate with it. I'm sure eventually a cutter would be wonderful, but for now I don't mind cutting it

I use a butcher knife I picked up at walmart for like $5. And it's purple so I can't mix it up with my other knives.

Last edited:
I use either a wavy cutter or a bench scraper in cheap plastic miter box marked at 1" past the straight line cut spot. I can even throw the miter box in the dishwasher.

I use fishing line, thick gloves, and my husband. I told him he wouldn't have to help me if he made me a soap cutter :)

I use slab molds that have cutting lines on one side already, so I don't have to measure anything:

ImageUploadedBySoap Making1402466093.833767.jpg

at first i was using a kitchen knife, but then i found out that cutting straight is too much of a challenge for me. i now use a wire cutter from Bud Haffner. i have 2, a multi and an individual. sometimes i also use my crinkle cutter for when i feel bored and want something different.

I was using a dough scraper but I also got tired of the issue of the soap sticking to it. I bought a cheese cutter and love it. I had the DH put a piece of wood on it as a stopper so I have the thickness I want and is even on all of the bars. I looked in to getting a wire cutter like Buds but I just can't spend that much money, and I also like cutting one by one for some reason.

Out of curiosity, what do you all use to cut your soaps with? I know many of you use an actual soap cutter. . . any other things?

I use a kitchen scraper. I don't know where I saw this being done, and I thought it seemed like the right tool for the job.

Big long kitchen knife and hope for the best. lol

Back