what do you think about Camellia oil?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twiggy

Reaction score
Hi All! I just want to ask you, what do you think about Camellia oil in soap? I wanted to make Castile, but then I decided to add something – maybe Camellia? What do you think? Will it be suitable for babies too?

I would not use camellia in soap. Its beneficial properties are better suited to and more useful in leave-on products such as lotions, balms, etc. Not to mention this expensive oil can be stretched much further in a lotion than in a soap -- your budget is more luxurious than mine!

What Deanna said, any benefit is likely to be lost to the lye monster.
You could put it in lip balm, bath oil, a solid lotion bar, etc.

Thank a lot! Than is easy, castor or almond :) Actually, if it should be baby friendly maybe I’ll go for almond? Thank you again :)

Thank a lot! Than is easy, castor or almond :) Actually, if it should be baby friendly maybe I’ll go for almond? Thank you again :)

Do keep in mind relatively strong cleansers such as soap just aren't that baby friendly.
Their skin hasn't fully developed the protective layer yet, hardly produces any sebum and is very sensitive when it comes to pH changes.
If you want to make something suitable for babies, I'd go for bath teas, milks and oils or a very mild, pH neutral, detergent based shampoo/body wash.

For babies that are a bit older (at least over 6 months), apricot kernal and avocado are really good options too.

Last edited:
Thank toy Dagmar, the baby girl I was thinking about is 8 month now, and her mum says she would like to get gentle soap for her little one :) Apricot... I will look into it :)

I would be leary of using almond oil on a baby - particularly if there is a family history of food allergies.

an unscented castile or bastile is best for the little ones, imho.

an unscented castile or bastile is best for the little ones, imho.

So after all it looks like it will be really just a Castile hahaha

I wonder than why so often other soapers recommend 90% OO plus 10% Almond, or Castor oil for children, call it baby soap…

Latest posts

Back