Fragrance/Essential oils in Syndet shampoo bars

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big J

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I just recently started making a sulphate free shampoo bar. I’ve used SCI, SLSa, rice flour, rice protein, camellia oil, vitamin E, preservative. My issue is adding the essential or fragrance oils, the fragrances seem to dissipate to almost nothing. Is there something I should be paying attention to? I’m really in the learning phase of this craft and just want to be aware in all aspects. Any advice or awareness for me? There is no heat in this recipe, only dry and wet ingredients that I mix together.

Hmmm. The recipe I use is from HumbleBeeandme She will have weight of fragrance or essential oil so you can determine if your recipe includes enough scent product. I found a teeny tiny bit of peppermint goes a long way in Syndet bars. A teeny bit of Peppermint goes nicely with all herbals like rosemary.

Interesting; you don't melt your SCI and SLSA? How is the texture? I've always melted mine in some CapB so that it isn't dusty or crumbly.

Regarding EO/FO, what is your usage rate? I typically add scent at 1% of the total batch weight for a pretty light scent, which I like. I know other folks do 2%, but that's overpowering to me. I also double-check the safe usage rates for each EO by going to EOCalc.com, since not all are skin-safe even at 1%. For FOs, I check the safe usage rate with the supplier.

Hmmm. The recipe I use is from HumbleBeeandme She will have weight of fragrance or essential oil so you can determine if your recipe includes enough scent product. I found a teeny tiny bit of peppermint goes a long way in Syndet bars. A teeny bit of Peppermint goes nicely with all herbals like rosemary.
Thanks for the reply. I am going to use peppermint next, I really like the idea of mixing with herbals, I will experiment with that. It seems to dissipate more with essential oils more than fragrance oils. I’m still going to formulate sample batches until I figure this out!

Interesting; you don't melt your SCI and SLSA? How is the texture? I've always melted mine in some CapB so that it isn't dusty or crumbly.

Regarding EO/FO, what is your usage rate? I typically add scent at 1% of the total batch weight for a pretty light scent, which I like. I know other folks do 2%, but that's overpowering to me. I also double-check the safe usage rates for each EO by going to EOCalc.com, since not all are skin-safe even at 1%. For FOs, I check the safe usage rate with the supplier.
I do not melt those ingredients, I simply have “dry” ingredients and “wet” ingredient. Wet ingredients does include CAP B as well. My SLSa is in noodle form, I put that in my grinder for a slightly less coarse texture, for me this works well. However I am open to melting those together I’m just not there yet. I get really good feedback on the product, just that the fragrance is lacking. I do look up all supporting documentation to ensure safety first. It is about 1% depending on which FO I’m using, all my products are bought by reputable suppliers. I will check out EOCalc for sure. By the way when I’m working with dry ingredients I use a good dust mask. This is just the beginning of this journey I have so much to learn! thanks for the feedback. What a great forum for good info!

Thanks for the reply. I am going to use peppermint next, I really like the idea of mixing with herbals, I will experiment with that. It seems to dissipate more with essential oils more than fragrance oils. I’m still going to formulate sample batches until I figure this out!
One other thing, I too go to the humblebee website for a lot of information. I measure everything in grams, just need to keep up on understanding the EO/FO oils.

Latest posts

Back