What do you suggest for lining PVC pipe?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AshleyR

Reaction score
I just bought some 3" round PVC pipe to make round shaving soaps. :D

I don't want to line it with freezer paper (I've used it in Pringles cans before and it wrinkled from the heat).

Should I wipe the inside with some type of oil? What would be best... Crisco? Mineral Oil?

Also, if anyone has any tips on using this as a mold, I'd love to hear them. Do they need to be wrapped up to gel, or do they get hot enough on their own? I have it cut in 2 foot lengths.

Thanks!

never used PVC before, but I would imagine you could use spray on veggie oil??? That's what I use on my other molds.
I'm sure someone with much more experience will chime in shortly... 8)

I grease mine up with mineral oil. It helps that I have small hands so have no difficulty reaching the whole thing.

Hi Ashley!
I got some moulds just the same recently. My dad fished them out at the hardware store for me, and even got the caps to go on the end. Thanks for the tip with the mineral oil carebear, I am going to do that when I use mine. I like the look of a round soap for a facial soap and a shaving soap.

lining

I use parchment paper to line the cardboard tubes I use. Occasionally it wrinkles a little bit but I don't mind that. Cardboard tubes are different though in that I just peel off the cardboard, parchment and all, after 48 hours. I get the cardboard tubes for free so I don't mind not re-using them.

Carebear, just curious does the mineral oil discolor your soap at all? I find that vaseline can make rounds easier to get out of the mold (pvc) but it can also discolor the soap a little (whitish). Do you have that trouble with mineral oil?

Spray into both ends with Pam and the soap will slide right out.

I read on here some time ago a tip to buy one of those very thin & flexible chopping mats - mylar are they? Simply roll up until it is smaller in diameter than your pipe, insert and allow to unroll inside.

Tanya :)

Back