What do you mix your soap in?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amber1111

Reaction score
I was afraid to use a plastic container because I thought the lye would react to it, but then I watched some videos and see people mixing it in buckets. Oh and the lye is sold in a plastic container.. duh..

I bought 2 big Pyrex measuring cups and I have a stainless steel pot I used for my first (and only) batch but I only made 2lbs of soap, so I need something bigger. Do I just use any plastic container?

For small batches I use the pot I heat my oils in, if I'm doing a larger batch I bought a cheap bucket from Ace's Hardware, those smaller kind that have their logo on it. Mix my lye in a lemonade pitcher...

I melt my hard oils in a pyrex measuring cup, then pour it in with the rest of the oil in a tall plastic bucket where I mix everthing. My lye goes in a plastic pitcher.

HutCar92 said:
For small batches I use the pot I heat my oils in, if I'm doing a larger batch I bought a cheap bucket from Ace's Hardware, those smaller kind that have their logo on it. Mix my lye in a lemonade pitcher...
lemonade pitcher? love it.

I use buckets that I get from a local restaurant supply store. They come in lots of sizes and have lids. I mix up my soap, pour, put the lid on the bucket and set it outside for a couple of days. Then I just rinse it out once the residue has time to become soap. Easy peasy.

I can see I'm in the minority but I don't like buckets of any kind. I prefer a large plastic mixing bowl with a rounded bottom (makes it easier to make sure I incorporate all the soap mixture). My batches are usually 2 lbs but if I make a larger batch, I resort to a deep stainless steel pot that I purchased at Big Lots for next to nothing.

I make my lye mixture in a stainless steel measuring cup. Then I melt my oils in a large pot and then I just mix my lye and oils in that same pot.
It's pretty big, so big batches fit just fine.
I've never tried anything else to be honest...

I use either plastic or stainless mixing bowls and for lye I use small plastic paint container.

rubyslippers said:
I can see I'm in the minority but I don't like buckets of any kind. I prefer a large plastic mixing bowl with a rounded bottom (makes it easier to make sure I incorporate all the soap mixture). My batches are usually 2 lbs but if I make a larger batch, I resort to a deep stainless steel pot that I purchased at Big Lots for next to nothing.

i'm using a large plastic bowl with a pour spout -- the spout is really, really helpful...

So far my largest stainless steel pot has been big enough to handle the size of batches I've been making. I am mixing my lye in an ice cream container now that the plastic pitcher I bought from the dollar store cracked. :roll: Guess I should have known better. lol

I usually mix mine in a large stainless steel chili pot. I know I'm not supposed to mix the lye solution in glass because it could crack, but I use a coffee pot. I love that it has a handle and spout for easy pouring and the glass is already pretty heat resistant.

My lye is mixed in an ice ceam container and my oils in a 5 litre plastic bucket. The bucket is great as it has a lid so I can measure the liquid oils ahead of time and only have to melt the solid ones then I'm ready to go. A spatula gets all the soap out of the bucket.

Relle.

I measure out 4 batches (240 ounces of oils) into a large canning pot. I melt is and pour in 60 oz batches into plastic Christmas buckets that I bought after Christmas at Walmart. Once the hard oils and liquid oils are melted together, they never completely harden so I have at least a dozen bucket ready to go at any given time.

ive been using paint buckets.. i do a test spot by placing a couple dots of water/lye solution on the lip to see if the bucket color will come off. I got a bit of yellow color coming off from the orange buckets from home depot.

I mix all my oils in a crock, hp or cp its great for cooking hp or warming my cp oils.

I either mix in a SS pot or a huge bowl. I don't care for buckets because it seems I never get my colors mixed where the sides meet the bottom and I end up with a random light spot in my soap. But I don't do more than four pound batches so this works for me right now.

Latest posts

Back