What do you do with irregulars?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

I have been practicing my CP skills, trying to figure out what shape I want my soap bars in (molded bars, loaf bars...) but as I experiment, I am churning out a lot of irregular bars...but the color may be off, or they are mishapen. But they are perfectly good bars of soap. Perfectly functional.
They just look horrid.

Any suggestions about what to do with them? If they were perfect, I could sell them.....but they just aren't craft-show worthy.

Try using them as samples, give them to friends and family, grate them and add them to new batches. Just a few suggestions.

I give all of my not so pretty soaps away to friends and family, or use them myself.

I too have a lot of different sized and shaped soaps as it took me awhile to nail down what kind of packaging I was going to use.

Another thing you could do is grate it up and sell it in little baggies for people to use in soap sacks. Orrrr you could just sell it at a discounted rate and explain to people that it smells and works great, just didn't turn out exactly how you had planned!

You could also donate tyem & write them off. They could go to women's shelters, your local food pantry, etc.

I'd be inclined to go with Tabitha's suggestion, because I have more of them than I can use.

Sometimes I can cut them down to small sizes, like 1 oz, and use them for samples (if they look good), or in my little organza sampler packs that contain a mini soap, mini body butter & mini lotion bar tin - those sell really well for me.

I never give the uglies away as samples, and I never sell them at a discount. I don't want my name & label on them! It might be the only product a potential buyer sees. I sell slow sellers & closeouts at discount though.

I do a couple of things with my "uglies" - some of them I will rebatch - others I will donate to the Salvation Army or the local Women's Shelter - these are always bars that look fine, smell fine but for any number of reasons I won't sell.

I never give the uglies away as samples, and I never sell them at a discount. I don't want my name & label on them! It might be the only product a potential buyer sees. I sell slow sellers & closeouts at discount though.
Ditto!

You could always chunk them up & add them to another batch too.

chop them up into small pieces, stick them inside little organza bags and sell them as drawer scents :)

I don't make high volume so all of my uglies either end up in my shower or shredded and blended into new batches.

I have 2# of dark purple soap that traced way too fast and got clumpy in the mold. It's gonna look GREAT shredded into a plain white soap.

I grind them up and make laundry soap out of them. At one point I just had to many and donated 41 bars to a worth while cause.

Bruce

Latest posts

Back