What do YOU do when a scent accelerates trace?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JenniferSews

Reaction score
I'm curious about other's solution. I've been branching out in my scents and in the last few weeks have run into a couple that accelerated trace even at very low temps at thin trace. The first was a salt bar and I glopped it into the molds asap, since it was a salt bar I didn't feel my usual method would help. Currently I am waiting for a batch to cool down so I can add scent again. It got so hot in my own salvage method it all flashed off.

The first few times it happened I slapped it into the mold asap, but was never happy with the fugly results. So now I have been heating it up and stirring until it's at what might be a hot process consistency, then I pour. Using the perfectly lovely but ugly soap for personal use might be a good solution, but that's all my soap is ever used for and I'd like to improve my method anyway. :lol:

Sorry, I don't really have a solution...I just hold my breath, squint my eyes & get it into the mould as quickly as possible all the while swearing quietly to myself :lol:

if you know its going to excelerate, dont pick up a stick blender.
hand mix with a wisk if you add your fragrance to your oils or use stck blender until very light trace then add fragrance & hand wisk gently so you have more time & more control. As soon as it starts to get just a tad thicker move fast with colors, layers, swirls ect.

Definately no stick blender. I rarely use one. This one FO was so fast! I put some scent into the main pot, added some to the 2 colors I had set aside and when I turned back to the main pot it was a solid lump. Oy!

I have been throwing them in the microwave for a minute. This usually loosens it up a bit, then I stir until smooth and throw it into the mold. No pretty swirls, and it isn't that smooth look that I love. But it works okay and saves the soap. I'll post a pic once it's cut. I used to get it into the mold as fast as possible but always ended up with lots of bubbles and gaps.

If a FO starts to accelerate I mix it by hand the best I can and glop it into the mold. I make small test batches with every new FO and keep detailed notes on how it behaved in my notebook. If it is too difficult to work with I add it to the do-not-use list, if it's a fragrance that I just have to have in my line then I offer it in cream soap, salts, bombs, etc... You can also try it in whipped soap, the colder temps give you a bit more working room with tempermental FOs

I cry :D

Hehe, I've found that mixing FO at super light trace and always by hand makes it easier. I won't do itp swirl with a fast FO. Separate some unscented batter first and colour it. Then pour the scented batter in the mold as soon as FO is mixed in and then I can try a swirl or a layer if it's too firm for swirling. I had my FO rice on me the other day and for the first time I was able to stick blend it to a really thick smooth texture.

I was trying a purple swirl with Violet FO this evening. I pulled out some batter and added the colorant. Added half of the FO to the uncolored base and it was fine. Mixed the rest with the colored portion, and turned my back for about 10 seconds to put a bowl in the sink. When I returned it was almost firm. :cry: I glopped it as best I could onto the base and stirred it up with my skewer. Alas, it's not a swirl, but just scattered colored bits. First time using this FO, so I didn't reduce the water, soaped cooler and wasn't at a heavy trace. Will take notes on this one as a learning experience.

I always add my colour befor my FO if I know it is going to speed things up. I often split batches, colour and then add FO, as I use the colour. If the FO really accelerates then this is only really suitable for layering.

If I'm using a new FO I always poor a small amount of my batch into a cup and add a few drops of FO, and wait a few seconds. This gives a good indication of how the rest of the batch is going to go :D

busymakinsoap! said:
If I'm using a new FO I always poor a small amount of my batch into a cup and add a few drops of FO, and wait a few seconds. This gives a good indication of how the rest of the batch is going to go :D

I never thought of that, such a great idea ty :D

Yeah, add color and FO to oil first then hand blend in lye with a wisk. Your arm will fall off but it can save you from FO pockets. I'm actually discontinuing a scent from my line because it's just too difficult to make and still look decent.

judymoody said:
soapbuddy once advised me in a thread to just let it gel in the pot and then glop it into the mold.
That has worked well for me instead of running around like a chicken with its head cut off trying to smush it into a mold.

honor435 said:
what do you mean " fo flashed off"?

The flash point of the FO was low, and the soap was well over that after I heated it up. The scent was totally gone by the time I was ready to pour.

Back