What did I do wrong?!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeingBumble

Reaction score
Hi All, My past few batches have been hard and crumbly on the outside and I cant figure out why. Thought you might be able to help me. I use the thermal transfer method and wrap well with lots of blankets. I use a silvermoon 5 LB mold with a wood frame. My recipe is palm free and has these qualities:
Hardness: 46
Cleansing: 20
Conditioning: 49
Bubbly: 20
Creamy: 26
Iodine:50
INS: 164
The recipe has worked beautifully in the past. Im thinking it may be the olive oil? Used Safeway Organic the past few times - maybe it was too adulterated? Ive been using Soapers Choice mostly and an organic brand from Costco. Or, I usually just hand stir; maybe it didnt get mixed well enough (Ive been making smaller batches while I was developing my final good palm-free recipe). I dont know!
Hope you can help and hope my attached photo is good enough. THANK YOU

IMG_0350s.jpg

I normally cut when my soap is room temperature and firm enough to resist pressure when I poke it(highly technical operation, hehe). Usually under 24 hours. Are you giving it longer than that?

Thanks everyone. Maybe thats it, not cutting soon enough. Though it was just around 24 hours. The outside is REALLY hard to cut on the edges only. I did a zap test and there was no zap, so thats out. Ill keep at it. No comments about the olive oil not being true olive oil?
Thank you

I used a bottle of Safeway's O Organics for my first batches of soap without a problem. I've since switched to Kirkland for the price, though.

Latest posts

Back