What did I do wrong? Overcooked?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I made my 2nd batch of hp soap last night and it came out really dark. I used the same recipe as the first batch but used high heat on the crock pot. With batch 1 I started at low and after 15 minutes ended up turning it to high because nothing was happening. Since I moved it to high I was concerned about the temp so ended up stirring often.

After reading a lot on the forums and elsewhere it seemed that stirring often wasn't good, so I only stirred this batch 1x every 15 minutes. Maybe that was the problem? Old crock pot, low doesn't seem to be working well, and on high I will need to stir more often?

I also added yogurt to the end of this batch, but it was already really dark so I know it wasn't the yogurt.

Thoughts?

Picture with 1 bar of the first batch at the bottom.

upload_2019-12-16_7-11-37.png

Yes, I used the same recipe both times.
60% Olive Oil
15% Coconut Oil
15% Cocoa Butter
5% Castor Oil
5% Canola Oil
Water 37.74%
Lye Concentration 26%
Water:Lye 2.85:1

I did mix a bit of cocoa powder into a small portion of the soap after adding the yogurt to try for swirls, but the dark color of the soap was there already. :(

Oh, and yes I did use Lavender EO, but that was added both times after the temp dropped and the dark color was already a thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I would say you over cooked it. I wouldn't use the high setting again, its too much and no amount of stirring will help.
You either need more patience with the low setting or a new crock.

I also use a old crock with a crappy low setting. I often melt my oils in the microwave to save time. I also don't bother to let my oils or lye cool before mixing, no real reason too since you are cooking it anyways.

I suppose my oils are around 100, I have no idea of lye temp. I generally mix my lye, then prep everything else.
By the time I'm ready to mix everything, the lye is still hot but not blazing.

Actually, you'll find those who regularly HP here actually stir quite often. I read that on here - I also started with only stirring once in a while. Stirring helps it cook evenly, and also in my opinion it cooks faster.

I usually get darker soap when I add my coconut milk (a staple in mine) during or after cook, when I forget to add it up front lol

How long total did you cook your soap last time? What about this time?

Overcooked soap sometimes look like this.

Yes, I would say you over cooked it. I wouldn't use the high setting again, its too much and no amount of stirring will help.
You either need more patience with the low setting or a new crock.

I also use a old crock with a crappy low setting. I often melt my oils in the microwave to save time. I also don't bother to let my oils or lye cool before mixing, no real reason too since you are cooking it anyways.

I suppose my oils are around 100, I have no idea of lye temp. I generally mix my lye, then prep everything else.
By the time I'm ready to mix everything, the lye is still hot but not blazing.

Thanks Obsidian!
So, on the low setting after the first 15 minutes on batch one ... there was zero happening. Is that normal? I also mix the lye and water first then do everything else. Maybe I'll try turning on the crock pot to low first, then mix lye/water, melt oils, add to crock pot then add lye ... lol. Maybe by then the crock pot will be warm enough to actually start cooking by time I reach trace.

Actually, you'll find those who regularly HP here actually stir quite often. I read that on here - I also started with only stirring once in a while. Stirring helps it cook evenly, and also in my opinion it cooks faster.

I usually get darker soap when I add my coconut milk (a staple in mine) during or after cook, when I forget to add it up front lol

How long total did you cook your soap last time? What about this time?

Overcooked soap sometimes look like this.

Yeah, that's strange ... my soap looks like soap ... just really dark.
The first batch took over an hour. The batch last night was only about 30 minutes. So, maybe not over cooked so much as just plain scorched.

The soap was also really shiny, waxy, and translucent ...

Thanks Obsidian!
So, on the low setting after the first 15 minutes on batch one ... there was zero happening. Is that normal? I also mix the lye and water first then do everything else. Maybe I'll try turning on the crock pot to low first, then mix lye/water, melt oils, add to crock pot then add lye ... lol. Maybe by then the crock pot will be warm enough to actually start cooking by time I reach trace.

You can turn the crock on high when you first add the oils but turn it back down to low once its heated up.
Mine takes forever to heat but once its there, it does ok.

The soap was also really shiny, waxy, and translucent ...
Did you zap test both?

Translucency is usually a sign that it has gelled - in HP, that it's done. I switch my cooker off before the whole thing is around 85% gelled.

I usually get a more opaque looking soap when I use a lot of lard and/or butters. Your recipe has neither lol so I think the translucency is ok.

If neither zapped, then just maybe the second one was too hot but not necessarily overcooked?

You can turn the crock on high when you first add the oils but turn it back down to low once its heated up.
Mine takes forever to heat but once its there, it does ok.

Oh good tip. I will try that on my next batch that will be coming up soon since this one is so strange looking. :)

Did you zap test both?

Translucency is usually a sign that it has gelled - in HP, that it's done. I switch my cooker off before the whole thing is around 85% gelled.

I usually get a more opaque looking soap when I use a lot of lard and/or butters. Your recipe has neither lol so I think the translucency is ok.

If neither zapped, then just maybe the second one was too hot but not necessarily overcooked?

I did the zap test on both. Learned when "not" to do the zap test on batch 1. lol
In the end both passed the zap test. :)

.... drum roll please ... the mystery has been solved!

I'm a dork and thought it would be cool to use Cocoa Powder to marble the soap since I didn't have anything else ... that will teach me. :)
The cocoa "bleeds" into the rest of the loaf and turned it dark. Happened again with another batch last night which is how I discovered the cause. With the batch last night, I filled two individual molds for my granddaughter and a loaf mold. Added soap mixed with cocoa powder to the loaf mold to marble. The soap in the loaf is dark and the two individual molds are fine. Go figure ... lol

Thank you to everyone on this thread. I just went through virtually all the same problems and for the reasons diagnosed. I was stirring obsessively and wondered if that was one of the problems, and it appears not. Overcooking is the problem. Looks bad but lathers nicely.

.... drum roll please ... the mystery has been solved!

I'm a dork and thought it would be cool to use Cocoa Powder to marble the soap since I didn't have anything else ... that will teach me. :)
The cocoa "bleeds" into the rest of the loaf and turned it dark. Happened again with another batch last night which is how I discovered the cause. With the batch last night, I filled two individual molds for my granddaughter and a loaf mold. Added soap mixed with cocoa powder to the loaf mold to marble. The soap in the loaf is dark and the two individual molds are fine. Go figure ... lol
I've had cocoa powder transfer onto a wash rag (which is why I never use it) but I didn't know it bleeds. I use individual molds mostly so I doubt I would have noticed.

I've had cocoa powder transfer onto a wash rag (which is why I never use it) but I didn't know it bleeds. I use individual molds mostly so I doubt I would have noticed.
I've used cocoa powder too. No bleeding.

Latest posts

Back