What are your favorite colors?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldragbagger

Reaction score
I am just beginning to look at coloring my soaps and I am very interested in hearing what everyone uses for color and where you get it.

Just faced that same dilemna myself oldragbagger. I decided on Lab Colors because I had read that some people have difficulty in mixing the powders (some say use water, some say oil and some say glycerin) so I got the lab colors because they are liquid and I thought they would easily incorporate into the soap mixture. Have been impatiently waiting for them but I do believe they will arrive today. I wanted to see some real color in my soaps and do believe once I get the technique down I will become a swirling fanatic! :lol:

I use micas, oxides, and ultramarines. I love them! No problems with clumping so far, except for once, and that's because I added the powder after it had thickened to the point I couldn't SB anymore. If I'm going to swirl (such as it is, I'm kind of a novice swirler), I separate the batter very early on so each gets a good stick blending with the color in. That way I don't fuss with adding the pigment to oil/glycerin first or anything like that.

I've heard nothing but good things about labcolors though. Just haven't tried them myself because the pigments having been working, and this is such an expensive hobby already. :roll:

For ease of use Labcolors rock . I love playing with oxides , ultramarines and micas though . I think you should get both :wink:

kitn

Just received 3 labcolors today in mail and one green chrome oxide pigment. Am a newbie so can't give you much advise other than get a labcolor and a pigment or ultramarine and give it a shot. Since we all vary on personal likes, plus its a good reason to get a larger stash.

It also helps to go thru back pages on the gallery and see what sparks or inspires you and see what they used. My personal problem is I am thrilled with all of them so am trying a variety.

:D

Back