What am I doing wrong

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tamb

Reaction score
I wanted to make candles to give as gifts. I read all the candlemaking instructions I could find, watched candle making videos. I seem to have it down but I am having one problem. I am using paraffin wax. All of the candles I have made have pulled away at the sides. Is their something I am doing wrong to cause this? Something I can do to prevent it happening?

Sounds like you are making container candles? Paraffin is typically used in stand alone pillar candles. It does shrink after setting which makes it easier to get out of the pillar mold. You should be using soy wax or a soy/paraffin blend for container candles.

You should be using soy wax or a soy/paraffin blend for container candles.
Not necessarily - there are plenty of container paraffin waxes out there that make lovely container candles. Some can be true 1-pour, others a repour will need to be done to prevent sink holes.

I wanted to make candles to give as gifts. I read all the candlemaking instructions I could find, watched candle making videos. I seem to have it down but I am having one problem. I am using paraffin wax. All of the candles I have made have pulled away at the sides. Is their something I am doing wrong to cause this? Something I can do to prevent it happening?

Sounds like you are putting the cart before the horse.
First you need to pick a container wax, (or pillar wax - depending on what you are trying to make) then learn everything you can about that wax and your application inside and out before giving any as gifts or to sell. Even if you aren't selling, you are still giving a flammable product to someone you presumably love, know or have an acquaintance with. You want the safest product you can have before you do that.
You will need to test the candle to make sure you have the right wicks for the right sized container/pillar, and if you are going to add color or scent, that will add another element of testing.
It can take months to get a safe, properly burning, great smelling candle. Every time you add a new element (different sized container/pillar, new scent, different amount of color, or no color, etc.,) the testing will start over.

Latest posts

Back