Weird peppermint smell

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoapyQueenBee

Reaction score
I made some basic cp a few days ago, with BB peppermint 2nd. Just tried it out, because I'm impatient, and everything about it is great - as should be - except for the scent. The bars smell like they should, dry, but as soon as I lathered and rinsed it left my hands smelling like rubber tires. I've never had this happen, before, has anyone else? I'm hoping it will morph back into peppermint, but I won't hold my breath.
Any ideas why this happened? I'm at a loss, and Google isn't helping me find any similar experiences.

To me, that rubber tire smell = something with sulfur. Did you have milk or beer or any other organics in there?
I bet it goes away with cure.

No additives but the EO and black oxide. It's so strange lol.
I'm going to give it 3-4 weeks, and if it doesn't go normal peppermint, I'll just avoid that EO for that specific recipe. They look pretty, though, on the upside lol. ImageUploadedBySoap Making1407881572.528232.jpg
I didn't beat out all the bubbles, but for a really fast acceleration, it still pleases me aesthetically. Yes, I'm goofy. :)

I guess I'm goofy too - I like the bubbles! It tells me it really is hand crafted so isn't "perfect" looking like a syndet bar off the grocery shelf. I think your bars look great!

I'm baffled by your scent dilemma and what in the heck is going on. I've used that exact peppermint in about 10 different soap recipes and all I get is invigorating peppermint. I'd be interested to hear what others may think is the issue. Hopefully after cure it'll be back to peppermint as usual!

Back