Weird happenings...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noreen Moore

Reaction score
Help! I followed one of the BB or SQ videos resizing the recipe only. Put it through soapcalc as always.
Ended up starting to mix lye water into my fats when all was around 98 both fats and water as I couldn't "see" my immersion blender attachment. I was so organized and had everything ready that I sat the immersion blender piece upright and I just couldn't "see" it! (So much for being oh so organized!!!) So that is why all got so cool. Did my first kaleidoscope attempt. Pulled crooked. Of course I glued my wooden spoon on a bit crooked!!! Still looks cool. HOWEVER... I did not force gel. House super cold as furnace not functioning properly. About 60-65 in the house. Re-purposed Pringles can never got very warm. It did warm but not as much as norm in my normal temperature when furnace works proper!
Yet got some cracks. Soap seems like it is fragile and possibly might crumble? It didn't slice easy either. Crumbs of soap came off. Maybe I un-molded too soon considering the ambient temp has gotten even colder? I have always unmolded around 24 hour mark. Yet cure time just started so I will be patient. However I am shocked about the light cracking and yet there was no excessive heating? Only thing different was a fragrance oil not my usual essential oils.
I have had pretty good success with the actual soap making process. So this is my first odd moment at un-molding/slicing time.
Except for the soap stuck in MW molds. I did screw up on the ingredients and didn't use a release.
My cracked recipe is as follows.
25% olive oil
25% Canola oil
25% Coconut oil 76
25% Palm oil
5% super fat
Water 38%
FB Baby Powder Fragrance oil 17.39 g

Hopefully furnace will be fixed tonight. 59.5 in the house. Heading below 0 tonight. Brrrrrr!
Only reason I haven't left Minnesnowta?
Still froze to the ground...

Thank you my go to Guru's of all things soap! HELP!

Yes exactly I didn't gel phase it. I was hoping for muted colors as these are pastels. Not touching them except for rotating for curing. They look pretty and smell divine!

Back