Weird color fail

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timber

Reaction score
I mixed 50/50 Black Raspberry Vanilla and Very Vanilla FOs from Candlescience at 1 oz PPO. The plan was to make dark pink and dark purple swirls. I used Red #33 for one part, and Blue #1 + a little activated charcoal for the other. These are usually predictable colors for me, but for some reason they totally morphed this time. Not a trace of pink or purple. Maybe the FO discolored it? Definitely not what I was going for!

DSCF0555.jpg

The cut faces of your soap will change to the same brownish color as the edges with exposure to air. Vanilla FOs tend to turn brown in soap.

Yes they will all turn brown! When I use vanilla scented soap I don't use any colors. I just leave it natural. I make a soap with vanilla and pear and I color the pear with yellow or leave it white and swirl it through the vanilla scented soap. Turns out nice and smells wonderful. I tried the stuff that stops the vanilla from dis coloring soap but it made the soap smell bad so I just go with it :)

Sent from my iPhone using Soap Making

I think it looks cool right now and will look cool when it darkens, Feel free to post pics when it darkens

Timber, I've used Red 33 and Blue 1 many, many times. It should have at least given you pink and purple at first. Later the vanilla would probably turn it all brown. However, I can't imagine why it would all turn green and beige at the beginning. That is just weird. Did you use enough colorant? That's all I can think of.

I know, right? If anything, I was afraid I was using too much color. Soap gremlins at work lately, I guess.

That is very pretty soap. Black Raspberry Vanilla has no vanilla in it , weird I know, but the other Fo does, so you could have a really cool looking swirled soap when the brown starts happening.

Y'all may know this already, but I recently discovered that Conservatorie's 'Shimmer Baby Blue' mica is gorgeous in soaps that turn brown due to the vanilla content! Or maybe it was just a fluke?
I soaped with Peak's Paris Twilight FO a couple of months ago and had NO idea it had vanilla in it (my bad for not checking). I used the baby blue and a pastel pink mica from Conservatorie and was initially sooo disappointed when my soap turned brown...not the look I was going for :-x
But as the soap got darker during cure, the baby blue mica really stood out...silvery-white against the brown soap!
I used it again in one of the soaps I made tonight to see if it really IS that beautiful; CandleScience's Chocolate Fudge FO with a swirl of baby blue mica. Fingers crossed that it will look /smell like the image in my head after a full cure...marbled fudge! It smells divine now, very much like chocolate!!

Back