Weight of empty containers?

Soapmaking Forum - Soap & Candle Forums

Help Support Soapmaking Forum - Soap & Candle Forums:

nsmar4211

Reaction score
Has anyone kept track of the weight of the empty FO/EO/lye containers from the different vendors? I have the weights of my measuring things written down but not the other stuff! Adding that to my new year list....

froggybean37

Reaction score
No, but that's a great idea! I just have them for my own containers

houseofwool

Reaction score
I have started to do this when I empty a bottle. I weigh it so I can easily convert the fluid ounces to grams.

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Glass containers vary so much from container to container and I haven't found a good way to keep it onteh bottles since the labels get worn or wash off when I'm gone with them. My lye bottles weigh about 2 ounces and while it's fairly consistent, there can be slight differences. I have written the weights down in sharpies on them, but I've learned that for a permanent marker, it's not very permanent. Not a single thing I've written down on any plastic bowl or bottle has stayed on there. Ideas?

KristaY

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glass containers vary so much from container to container and I haven't found a good way to keep it onteh bottles since the labels get worn or wash off when I'm gone with them. My lye bottles weigh about 2 ounces and while it's fairly consistent, there can be slight differences. I have written the weights down in sharpies on them, but I've learned that for a permanent marker, it's not very permanent. Not a single thing I've written down on any plastic bowl or bottle has stayed on there. Ideas?
All of my sharpie wts have eventually washed off too newbie. I think I'm going to try the new permanent sharpie. The one I keep seeing on the commercials with the guy holding a ball in a desert, a rainstorm, and ice/snow storm. I just wish it showed the guy playing in soap batter, lol. Maybe those will be more "permanent".

I've also tried keeping track of various EO/FO bottles in all sizes, glass & plastic but I always get a big enough variation that I gave up.

Steve85569

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oil ( and batter) washes off sharpie. Had the same problem at work. Other than refreshing the sharpie over and over or stamping it on metal containers I have yet to find a solution to the problem. I tried for several years too.

Susie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's why I write the weights on a Ziploc bag I have the bottles in.

nsmar4211

Reaction score
Was thinking of keeping one of each size from each vendor set aside with their weights on a label......then no worries about the handling wearing off the labels! But then I'd be keeping empty bottles for nothing...but then I'd have a reference for those "how much is left in here?" moments... decisions! Sometimes that determines my batch size if I want to use up a certain fragrance.

songwind

Reaction score
You might be able to keep your marks a little longer if you painted them on with Glass and Tile medium, mixed with a bit of paint or ink.

LoveOscar

Reaction score
I keep track of the weight of my mixing containers. Like the glass mason jar that I pour and weigh my oil batch in is 14.4 oz without the lid, and holds roughly 30 oz of oils. I havent gotten to that point of saving my glass EO/FO containers yet.

Muskette

Reaction score
I typed a list with the weights of all my empty containers, and taped it to the inside of my kitchen cabinet door.

Latest posts