Weight of empty containers?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nsmar4211

Reaction score
Has anyone kept track of the weight of the empty FO/EO/lye containers from the different vendors? I have the weights of my measuring things written down but not the other stuff! Adding that to my new year list....

I have started to do this when I empty a bottle. I weigh it so I can easily convert the fluid ounces to grams.

Glass containers vary so much from container to container and I haven't found a good way to keep it onteh bottles since the labels get worn or wash off when I'm gone with them. My lye bottles weigh about 2 ounces and while it's fairly consistent, there can be slight differences. I have written the weights down in sharpies on them, but I've learned that for a permanent marker, it's not very permanent. Not a single thing I've written down on any plastic bowl or bottle has stayed on there. Ideas?

Glass containers vary so much from container to container and I haven't found a good way to keep it onteh bottles since the labels get worn or wash off when I'm gone with them. My lye bottles weigh about 2 ounces and while it's fairly consistent, there can be slight differences. I have written the weights down in sharpies on them, but I've learned that for a permanent marker, it's not very permanent. Not a single thing I've written down on any plastic bowl or bottle has stayed on there. Ideas?

All of my sharpie wts have eventually washed off too newbie. I think I'm going to try the new permanent sharpie. The one I keep seeing on the commercials with the guy holding a ball in a desert, a rainstorm, and ice/snow storm. I just wish it showed the guy playing in soap batter, lol. Maybe those will be more "permanent".

I've also tried keeping track of various EO/FO bottles in all sizes, glass & plastic but I always get a big enough variation that I gave up.

Oil ( and batter) washes off sharpie. Had the same problem at work. Other than refreshing the sharpie over and over or stamping it on metal containers I have yet to find a solution to the problem. I tried for several years too.

Was thinking of keeping one of each size from each vendor set aside with their weights on a label......then no worries about the handling wearing off the labels! But then I'd be keeping empty bottles for nothing...but then I'd have a reference for those "how much is left in here?" moments... decisions! Sometimes that determines my batch size if I want to use up a certain fragrance.

You might be able to keep your marks a little longer if you painted them on with Glass and Tile medium, mixed with a bit of paint or ink.

I keep track of the weight of my mixing containers. Like the glass mason jar that I pour and weigh my oil batch in is 14.4 oz without the lid, and holds roughly 30 oz of oils. I havent gotten to that point of saving my glass EO/FO containers yet.

I typed a list with the weights of all my empty containers, and taped it to the inside of my kitchen cabinet door.

Back