Waterproofing labels

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newsoapmaker

Reaction score
Hi, I am trying to waterproof/Oil-proof my labels. I cannot afford professional printing at this time. I print my own labels and then cover them with a clear protective sheet - this seems to work OK for my Balms as the label is on the lid which is taken off and the oils do not really get on it. However, with my Baby Oil, the label is on the bottle and when any oil drips down it gets UNDER the label, or between the label and protective cover sheet - not sure which. But, it runs and looks awful. I've seen lots of posts about Krylon Crystal Clear - would that be better than putting the clear sheet on top - would that oil-proof my label? It's so hard being on such a tight budget but still wanting it to look professional - ugh!
Thanks!!

I do exactly what Carolyn does - weatherproof labels and a laser printer. I buy the labels through OnlineLabels.com which has the best prices I've found. My sister was able to find a great deal on a laser printer through Craig's list. It's only a couple of years old and the cost was $60.00. I also had to get a couple of ink cartridges so for an outlay of about $100 I'll be able to print many, many labels.

I've used Aleene's Spray Acrylic Sealer Matte Finish to make labels waterproof. It works pretty well - just make sure to dust off any printer lint before using and apply thin coats - allowing to dry between.

Thanks everyone! No, I don't use waterproof labels or a laser printer. I do not have money to invest in that right now and being in Canada I think Online labels would be expensive to ship. I just use Avery regular labels. I think I'll try the spray - I have never heard of Aleene's - is it better that Krylon and where can you get it?
Thanks!!

Back