Water discount in HP soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luvtobeamom

Reaction score
Can you water discount in hot process soap? I usually use the set 38% set on soapcalc, but was wondering if I could drop it down a bit to experiment.

Do you water discount your hp?

If so, what percentage do you consider a good number?

Thanks for you help, I've been asking a slew of questions lately and everyone has been so great!

I would never use a water discount on HP, in fact I up it to 40% on soapcalc. Of course you can discount but your soap may end up dry and difficult to mold.

I would never use a water discount on HP, in fact I up it to 40% on soapcalc. Of course you can discount but your soap may end up dry and difficult to mold.

Thank you for you response and the number you use. Curious why you up it to 40%..would you mind sharing?

Also, does that up your cure time a couple of weeks?

It helps keep the HP batter more liquid so the soap goes in the mold easier and the finished bars look smoother. I don't think it really affects the cure time, I give my soaps a long cure anyways so its not something I notice.

This is HP made with increased water
2644y6a.jpg

516b81.jpg

I haven't I always use full water (38%). But I was thinking of reducing it because my batter is not dry at all, very fluid. So I am thinking next time doing 34% and see how it goes.

I think some people use sodium lactate in HP to help it stay more fluid and semi-pourable, so the finished soap isn't quite so rustic. That might help a person use a bit less water in the recipe and still get a nice look.

I'm not sure what the dosage is by weight for SL, but I know it's also used to help harden soap and the % I've seen for hardening is 1% to 3% based on the weight of fats. Over 3% and the soap may actually get softer according to some of the people who've tried it. So that gives a range of what might work for an HP recipe.

Oh, here ya go -- found a couple of HP recipes using sodium lactate from SoapQueen:
http://www.soapqueen.com/bath-and-body-tutorials/cold-process-soap/marbled-clay-hot-process-soap/
http://www.soapqueen.com/bath-and-body-tutorials/cold-process-soap/luck-irish-hot-proces/

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back