Wasabia Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Has anyone here made Wasabia cold pressed soap ? Im curious about trying to make a batch .

But im nervous because it is Wasabia . Im wondering how to add it safely ? Or is it just a fragrance ?

I would add that almost nothing botanical that you add to your soap is likely to provide fragrance or color. The fragrance disappears during saponification, and the color turns brown, tan, or drab olive. There are exceptions for some colors (turmeric, Himalayan rhubarb, etc.) but greens are especially prone to color changes from the high alkaline environment.

Was there a specific reason for the idea of wasabi, perhaps as a novelty soap?

I would add that almost nothing botanical that you add to your soap is likely to provide fragrance or color. The fragrance disappears during saponification, and the color turns brown, tan, or drab olive. There are exceptions for some colors (turmeric, Himalayan rhubarb, etc.) but greens are especially prone to color changes from the high alkaline environment.

Was there a specific reason for the idea of wasabi, perhaps as a novelty soap?
I just seen them around . And thought it would be a cool soap to try making . Im just unsure of how to go about it .

Have you made any CP soap yet? Starting with just a few basic ingredients will make it much easier for you to learn the overall process. Then there will be plenty of time to learn how to add specialty ingredients like wasabi, clay, colors, scents, etc. :)

Here a soap I made the other day .

Olive Oil , Coconut Oil , Shea Butter , Cocoa Butter , Hemp Oil , Castor Oil , Aloe , Spinach , Hemp Seeds , Kaolin Clay , Sea Salt , Essential Oils

Im interested in soap conversation and what people have to say . Right now soap have consumes my life . I love it .

I want to chat about interesting ingredients . I’ve been making soaps for about 6 months . Sometimes making 3 4 different soaps a day . I’ve made lots of soaps . I finally learned how to formulate good recipes . Now I’m experimenting with additives and how to make soaps unique .

Attachments

• 34150ADB-B590-43C6-A86C-230AFB735676.jpeg
    34150ADB-B590-43C6-A86C-230AFB735676.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1568.MOV
    34.9 MB
  • IMG_1572.MOV
    6.4 MB
When people have wasabi soap, 9 times out of 10 it's really just a normal green soap with a fragrance like Nature's Garden's Cucumber Wasabi Cilantro FO or some other planty/earthy/herbaly scent. Not with wasabi, whether its real wasabi or the green dyed horseradish sold as wasabi in the west.

I did look this concept up in Japanese google to see if it existed and there is a company that makes soap with wasabi as an ingredient. I watched an interview with them and they use real wasabi, grind it into paste and then dry it into a powder to add to soap. The soap is very brown.
1682007846500.png

That's great, Michael! Your soap looks wonderful, and it is so great that you have some experience and are ready to branch out.
Thank you , means a lot .

When people have wasabi soap, 9 times out of 10 it's really just a normal green soap with a fragrance like Nature's Garden's Cucumber Wasabi Cilantro FO or some other planty/earthy/herbaly scent. Not with wasabi, whether its real wasabi or the green dyed horseradish sold as wasabi in the west.

I did look this concept up in Japanese google to see if it existed and there is a company that makes soap with wasabi as an ingredient. I watched an interview with them and they use real wasabi, grind it into paste and then dry it into a powder to add to soap. The soap is very brown.
View attachment 72170
NOW THATS AMAZING ! ahahaha :)

Ive been looking around and I've mostly seen the Cucumber Wasabi fragrance . I don't make soap with fragrance oil or unnatural colourant . So its a little more research when coming up with a concept . It does seem like a lot of work . Did you ever end up making your wasabi soap ?

NOW THATS AMAZING ! ahahaha :)

Ive been looking around and I've mostly seen the Cucumber Wasabi fragrance . I don't make soap with fragrance oil or unnatural colourant . So its a little more research when coming up with a concept . It does seem like a lot of work . Did you ever end up making your wasabi soap ?
No, I'm afraid I have no plan to! I just poked around regarding wasabi after seeing this thread and got curious to see if someone actually had.

I just looked it up again and found another article with the owner of the company. It seems they actually made the soap using the wasabi SKINS that were peeled off the wasabi root as a way to turn a former waste product into something functional. Which makes a whole lot more sense since real wasabi is too expensive to use in soap LOL

No, I'm afraid I have no plan to! I just poked around regarding wasabi after seeing this thread and got curious to see if someone actually had.

I just looked it up again and found another article with the owner of the company. It seems they actually made the soap using the wasabi SKINS that were peeled off the wasabi root as a way to turn a former waste product into something functional. Which makes a whole lot more sense since real wasabi is too expensive to use in soap LOL
Hmmmmm . I don't have time right now to do the search . But once I have I will post on here .

Here a soap I made the other day .

Olive Oil , Coconut Oil , Shea Butter , Cocoa Butter , Hemp Oil , Castor Oil , Aloe , Spinach , Hemp Seeds , Kaolin Clay , Sea Salt , Essential Oils

Im interested in soap conversation and what people have to say . Right now soap have consumes my life . I love it .

I want to chat about interesting ingredients . I’ve been making soaps for about 6 months . Sometimes making 3 4 different soaps a day . I’ve made lots of soaps . I finally learned how to formulate good recipes . Now I’m experimenting with additives and how to make soaps unique .
Gorgeous soap! You did a fantastic job!

View attachment 72170
That's what I was researching how to do to add ginger & turmeric to soap, but I figured it was a lot of work without the guarantee the benefits would be maintained after saponification.

Latest posts

Back