War on lard!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DWinMadison, that was a good read, thank you. I guess normal soaps disappeared from regular use the same way, we were thought by big companies to think detergents were better for us.
When rendering pig fat, do you eat those little crispy nuggets of fat or do you throw them away? They are considered delicacy where I come from (Balkans). I know one of the ethnic butchers here, they are selling those but tossing or giving away lard for free if they happen to have some. But I'm not lucky, when ever I pop in they are out of both.
Aussies, do you have hardware store near by, all local Bunning stores in my area sell Diggers lye. I used to buy Mechanix lye at only one Coles store as it disappears from to time I know shop at Bunnings only.

In my neck of the woods, Christmas means gumbo! (Gulf Coast not Louisiana although I like LA gumbo...just not at Christmas.)

That's interesting! We have gumbo on Christmas Eve and/or New Year's Eve, but turkey, ham, roast or such on Christmas Day with all the fixings. Gumbo is just an easy meal that can feed lots of people. And it is warm in your tummy when it is cold. Cajun comfort food at its finest!

Coles keep Mechanix brand lye - that's where I get mine from. I bought bulk lye from Escentials, but it was sent via Aus post separate from the main order, so worked out the same price as me buying it from Coles. Adding the postage doesn't make it cheaper in bulk. I found them good to deal with and very efficient. Ordered one day and at the door the next (interstate).

My local coles doesn't, I've searched the whole shop for it. I usually buy a lot of lotion making supplies as well as essential oils in a bulk buy from Escentials, I don't buy the lye just on it's own. They don't have a check out system there to calculate shipping, I usually have to wait a minimum of 2 days before they contact me with a total order cost.

Latest posts

Back