Food Imitations Act 1989

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Holy moly, now I know where your name comes from! Do you compete with those? I don't even know if there are competitions but I would think so, and that you have many blue ribbons!

Section 4 of the act says that it is covered if it looks like food AND may cause death or injury. Can you die from eating a bar of soap? Serious question, as if not, you're okay.

Full text -
4. No person shall supply, offer to supply, agree to supply, expose for supply or possess for supply any manufactured goods which are ordinarily intended for private use and are not food but which“
(a)have a form, odour, colour, appearance, packaging, labelling, volume or size which is likely to cause persons, in particular, children to confuse them with food and in consequence to place them in their mouths or suck them or swallow them; and
(b)where such action as is mentioned in (a) above is taken in relation to them, may cause death or personal injury.

Not to be a buzz kill and not that I think anyone would ever dream of making f.ex. a Tea Tree scented cupcake, but aren't some EO's toxic? Tea Tree is very toxic and maybe some other EO's are too. I have no idea what FO's are made of, but if anyone is going to eat soap in front of the soap police, maybe you should make absolutely sure to pick a "flavour" that if it does kill you, at least you'll go down smiling! (Chocolate! :D )

This doesn't make a ton of sense when you have erasers that look and smell like food, plastic fruit in decorations, Christmas tree ornaments that look like food, even plastic food as toys, magnets, displays etc.
And many companies already HAVE soaps that look like food (LUSH etc), the precedent has already been set.

Not to be a buzz kill and not that I think anyone would ever dream of making f.ex. a Tea Tree scented cupcake, but aren't some EO's toxic? Tea Tree is very toxic and maybe some other EO's are too. I have no idea what FO's are made of, but if anyone is going to eat soap in front of the soap police, maybe you should make absolutely sure to pick a "flavour" that if it does kill you, at least you'll go down smiling! (Chocolate! :D )

Enough of anything is bad for you - cake, chillis, even water! I use a toxic EO in an aftershave, but it's not harmful unless you drink enough of it.

Crazy Luxuries, so sorry for the trouble. That is lame to the supreme :thumbdown: Talk about a nanny state, but then we are getting just as bad here these days! Are we to live our life assuming ALL people are complete imbeciles, incapable of making a good decisions???? Who knows, maybe we are?
Cheers!
Anna Marie
PS- I hope my comment doesn't offend anyone :)

Back