walmart carries hi-oleic sunflower oil now

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry to interrupt. I accidentally purchased a gallon of mid-Oleic Sunflower Oil, any ideas of what I can do with it?

hi, 'daisy...gee you've got me...did they give you a SAP value for it? if not I would use the regular sunflower oil calculation...if you're only using 10-15% in a recipe, the difference is almost insignificant for the lye amount...hth!

I never really used a Sunflower Oil in my recipes but bought some on a whim. Kinda figures I ordered the wrong kind. Do you think the mid oleic will be OK for soap if I add some ROE? I'm weary of DOS...

Hi Daisy I bought some mid oleic and it works ok. I add ROE and haven't had any spoiled soaps yet. The most I use is 30% (makes a really nice facial soap bar) with the rest being palm and coconut to harden the bar up.

"...SAP value is 188-194..."

I'm assuming this value is the NaOH saponification value, not the KOH sap value.

What this means is that for every gram (or ounce) of oil, you will need to add 0.188 to 0.194 grams (or ounces) of NaOH to convert the fat into soap.

I'd use the average between these two numbers, which is 0.191 grams (or ounces) for my sap value. If you are conservative soaper, use the smallest number -- 0.188 grams (or ounces).

Heartsong - What brand name did you find at your walmart? Walmart in my area has 2 products from A&M, refined and unrefined, but neither are hi-oleic. Thanks!

Heartsong - What brand name did you find at your walmart? Walmart in my area has 2 products from A&M, refined and unrefined, but neither are hi-oleic. Thanks!

that's the same as I buy, tho I've seen other brands...might be a regional thing...like I said before, it does not say high oleic...you have to compare the above chart info link provided to compare...but in a nut shell, hi-oleic SFO is higher in monosaturated fats, standard SFO is higher in polyunsaturated fats.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunflower_oil

that's the same as I buy, tho I've seen other brands...might be a regional thing...like I said before, it does not say high oleic...you have to compare the above chart info link provided to compare...but in a nut shell, hi-oleic SFO is higher in monosaturated fats, standard SFO is higher in polyunsaturated fats.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunflower_oil

Thank you, I do understand the mono/poly levels. The SFO here has a mono/poly content of 3g/9.4g per 14g of oil. That's why I asked what brand the walmart in your area carries.

had to call hubby to read the label for me...i'm on the road right now...this is the last one I purchased...they keep switching oils out for some reason...got rid of the 97* coconut but replaced it with organic, which I use in my lip balms...they've got like 5-6 safflower, 3 or 4 sunflower, but they can't seem to consistently carry grape seed oil...wish they had avocado oil! http://www.walmart.com/ip/Cookwell-Organic-Sunflower-Oil-17-fl-oz/22101583

Latest posts

Back