Wah Happen? CHEM assitance needed

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's good for rebatch practice. :)

I added some goat milk and water with the 60g of OO and its cooking... almost ready to pour. Wondering if the cooking process will make it brown because of the milk. I'll find out! hehe

Well, it ain't pretty anymore! LOL It looks like yellow Pahoehoe lava to me. Hubs was whining about not getting any soap on a rope (making fun of me, nicely of course) so I poked a piece of hemp in one corner for him. It's pretty soft yet, hope it gets hard. When washing out the crock it suds very nicely.

hmmmlearnen.jpg

Thanks, Dennis! I tried to save one but it defaulted to the website so, now I know to save as a pdf for referencing. Cool! I'm going to try my recipe again... only with the correct quantities. hehe. I liked how it looked the first time.

It's been a couple days and my soap has a bit of a rubber texture to it (don't ask about hubs jokes on rubber soap). I have no idea what I did to make that happen but, I think it's time to start over and get it right next time.:shifty:

Also, I noticed I didn't melt it completely and there are some chunks embedded. Oy.

I'll keep my rebatch and see what time does for it.

rubbasoap.jpg

"Natural Soap Making", checked it out from the library. I'll double check my numbers. I will definitely be putting all my future recipes in a soap calculator.

I have this book, too, and I'm pretty sure ALL those recipes are really lye heavy. I ran the "Vegetable Shampoo Bar" through SoapCalc last night and the numbers came up completely different. I'd say in the future, just use the same oils and plug in your own percentages, or amounts.

I find melting rebatch in the oven give a much smoother liquid remelt versus a crockpot. I usually set my oven to 220 degrees for rebatch, but that depends on your oven, and use a non-reactive pot (stainless steel) in case your rebatch still has active lye

Back