vitamin e...how much to use, etc.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patgst

Reaction score
Hi, I have heard that Vitamin E or Rosemary EO or FO will help maintain the fragrance for longer and help the CP not to become rancid. But how much do you use? Is it considered an oil and have to be taken into consideration when measuring out oils? Thank you!

ROE added to your oils when you open them will help extend the oil life from rancidity. FO is fragrance oil and will not do anything nor will rosemary EO. You want Rosemary oleoresin. They will not extend or help fragrance stick.

I don't think either of these help hold fragrance. I usually put several drops of Vit E in my soap, but not to anchor fragrance.:)

Hi, I have heard that Vitamin E or Rosemary EO or FO will help maintain the fragrance for longer and help the CP not to become rancid. But how much do you use? Is it considered an oil and have to be taken into consideration when measuring out oils? Thank you!

It's rosemary oleoresin extract (ROE) not rosemary essential oil that is used as an antioxidant (prevents rancidity). Vitamin E is not an effective antioxidant for soap, IMO.

I honestly do not think ROE or rosemary EO or rosemary FO will make a scent last longer.

You do not need to include ROE, EO, or FO in your recipe when calculating the NaOH weight.

How much ROE to use -- see my article: https://classicbells.com/soap/ROE.html

Last edited:
ROE added to your oils when you open them will help extend the oil life from rancidity. FO is fragrance oil and will not do anything nor will rosemary EO. You want Rosemary oleoresin. They will not extend or help fragrance stick.

Thank you. I will look for the ROE. I appreciate the tip!

It's rosemary oleoresin extract (ROE) not rosemary essential oil that is used as an antioxidant (prevents rancidity). Vitamin E is not an effective antioxidant for soap, IMO.

I honestly do not think ROE or rosemary EO or rosemary FO will make a scent last longer.

You do not need to include ROE, EO, or FO in your recipe when calculating the NaOH weight.

How much ROE to use -- see my article: https://classicbells.com/soap/ROE.html

Your article was extremely helpful. I'm saving it for future reference. Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
this is a new topic. I'm not sure it belongs in this discussion but not sure where else to post... My last batch of soap turned out pretty well. But I'm noticing little tiny holes in it. They are not lye holes. They are tiny like a tip of a toothpick made them. Doesn't seem to interfere with the soap itself. It lathers really well. Is nice and hard. Has no DOS....I do use a stick blender but I did for my other batch, too, and I didn't have these teeny, tiny holes...........? I had to look pretty closely to see them. Should that be a cause for concern?

If you used a silicone mold and they are just on the outside, it is probably a slight case of what some call silicone rash, caused by overheating. If they are on the inside, it's probably air bubbles.

I used a silicone mold but they are on the inside. So, I guess I'm going to have to watch how aggressively I use my stick blender. Thanks for replying. My first soap many years ago was just a lard soap and it always turned out well. Our spinning guild made it so we could wash our raw fleeces and not leave a residue as Woolite did in those days. I've graduated now using more exotic oils but I still have the same pleasure watching those ingredients turn into soap! Love this site............ Thank again. : )

Latest posts

Back