Views from soapers

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do like HP, I think it'll be the mainstay for me as I want to do mainly soaps for Gentlemen. Even lady soaps can go well in HP, especially when I start playing with my SL which arrived the other day.

I say mainstay, as there will be things that just won't work in HP - I imagine Pine Tar could be a nightmare in HP, and things like salt bars are just not an option in HP, only CP - from what I've read.

Personally, I think of HP and CP as being on one side of the coin, just end in a different way.

I started with HP. That got me hooked!!! Started researching and reading and tried CP. Love it! In less than a year I have gone from just trying to provide products for my family that all the ingredients could be pronounced to making a minimum of 2 11 bar loaves per day just to keep up with demand.

i started with CP, and i think i'll forever stick to CP, unless i have to rebatch, which i would then dabble into HP. i don't have much desire for M&P, mainly b/c i'm not artistic enough to go into M&P and the fact that is M&P makes it feel like it wouldn't be actually MAKING soap...just preparing (like the diff between making bread from scratch and buying dough and baking).

i am with those who like the feel of being a mad scientist. i actually have an old pharmacist's lab coat (from an old halloween outfit) that i wear for soaping. then with the goggles and gloves..... it's great. i sometimes let out a few "MWAHAHAHAHA"s when i pour the lye into the oils....just for fun. (i think this is the only safe place to say that.......LOL).

I've only done CP so far and I enjoy it. I'd be willing to try HP just to do something different. M&P doesn't really appeal to me because one of my main reasons for making soap is to be able to control the ingredients. I do admire the artistry of M&P though.

I like CP for when I'm feeling ambitious but my preference is HP because of the cleanup and the fact that EO/FO's are more likely to stick for longer. Still need to work on MP, which I find difficult.

What are salt bars?

Where sailors go for a drink! :mrgreen:

But seriously, they are bars with 100% or at least very high CO and 70% or more weight of oils as added salt and a 20% SF. So mine, for example, will be 560gm CO, 560gm salt - 100% CO with 100% salt. There is another thread with some more discussion on them at the moment

Back