Vanilla FO smells horrible in CP ( Cold Process ) soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rachelb5499

Reaction score
Hey All,
I'm fairly new at soaping but have had GREAT success (thank goodness) with most every soap I've tried though I fear I'm not near as adventurous as a lot of you! :D Anyway, I LOVE vanilla as do ALL of my friends so of course, I wanted to make a fantastic vanilla soap. But to my dismay, I have tried FOUR different vanilla FO's and NONE of the cp soaps have smelled like vanilla in the end! HELP! I have a French Vanilla, Vanilla Bean, Creamy Vanilla, and Warm Vanilla Sugar. (all of these are from AAA candle company.. i have a LOT of their scents which smell just GREAT in cp soap so I know they aren't a bad company, but I'm certainly not happy with any of their vanillas thus far, and I've spent quite a bit of money already.) So any recommendations would be SO appreciated!

i just made a batch the other week of Vanilla Vanilla from Brambleberry and like the scent a lot. The color is a little much though....think dark chocolate fudge :cry:

vanilla

i feel your pain! (lol) all the ones i've tried either no scent or smells like play-dough! it is the "holy grail" for c/p!

i really like www.soapsupplies.net bendel bean. it is more of an "up-scale" vanilla with a cologne finish. its only a week out of the mold and mellowing nicely. i think this is a nice stand-alone fragrance or blender. does not discolor. according to my "test subjects" the guys really like it. i used 1 oz ppo.

for a sweet-butter vanilla i hear scent shack's vanilla-vanilla is good in c/p, but i have never ordered from them-yet.

let's keep this thread "alive"-i'd like to hear more vanilla results from c/p's!

Chances are if you do like 1 vanilla from a source, you will not like any from that source. The same goes for any other scent family, lavenders, patchouli mixes, etc. If you do not like 1 of a type from a certain supplier, you probably won't like any. Now that does not mean if you don't like vanilla from AAA, that you won't like orange. But if you do not like vanilla from them I would not waste time w/ strawberries & cream or other vanilla based scents either.

Thanks!

Hey All,
Thanks for all of your supplies so far! I've scoured this forum and another one...and there isn't too much mention of odd scent after soaping vanilla, just discoloring. I'm cool with the discoloring really just want a GREAT vanilla smell.
Anyway, that's a GREAT suggestion/fact about if you don't like one vanilla from a co. probably not going to like their other vanillas. They ARE going to send me the rest of their vanillas as samples though for free just in case so that was GREAT of them!
I'M certainly on a quest so I'll definitely post any "winners" when I find them. The more recommendations, the better.
Thanks Again!

vanilla

i've heard mention that you can add titanium white pigment to lighten up discoloration. just ordered some along with 2 vanillas, a coconut and a dutch chocolate! they all discolor to tan or brown. i will report back on the vanillas when i get a chance to do them.

so many soaps...so little time!

carebear said:
Join the Scent Review Board (http://soapscentreview.obisoap.ca/) and read reviews.

(you CANNOT join with a free email address like yahoo - it must be from your ISP or a work one)

I agree with carebear....it's a great place to learn more about fragrances.

That being said, I have had good luck with vanillas from SaveOnScents. :)

ok, so thats the problem. I used some new vanilla bean the other day. and the dang soap smells like the corn stuff covering the filling on tamales. my hubby likes it. lol. but not me

Okay, it's been months and months. Heh Heh...the vanilla I liked most (out of the samples, etc. I received from AAA candle supply) was creamy vanilla. Yes, it turned brown because I wanted to stay away from titanium dioxide and just "adding" things to the soap that weren't necessary. So Instead, I swirled the FO in so it's swirls of brown and off white....I called it "Vanilla Fudge." It's held up nice and maintained its nice Vanilla smell. (It's been 3.5 months or so since I made them.)

I am not a huge FO user, supply is limited in Austrlia, but I do love Relaxing from BB. The last batch I made I've added a bit of TD and it mellowed it down, it actually looks darker in this picture, I would've preferred it to be a bit lighter, but oh well....
Etelka

vanillasoap.jpg

I have tried several vanilla FO's and I don't really like any of them either. As for the darkening, I have learned to embrace it. Even by adding titanium dioxide you will never get it white WHITE. Just a lighter brown.

I actually add a teeny bit of cocoa powder to mine now to darken it right away (since I know it's going to change anyway) and call it Vanilla Fudge, like a PP. :)

Completely off topic here... Etelka, hope you dont mind me asking, how did you get the top of the soap to do that, ive seen it in a lot of soaps and cant figure it out. Lovely soap there by the way.

Southern Soaper's Bourbon de Vanille is a very pleasant vanilla that seems to apeal to both men and women. It does end up a very dark brown like fudge. Before I found it I tried several other vanilla scents, one smelled like play doh and the other like sugar cookies.

blue hill said:
Completely off topic here... Etelka, hope you dont mind me asking, how did you get the top of the soap to do that, ive seen it in a lot of soaps and cant figure it out. Lovely soap there by the way.

I split my batch in two, only bc I wanted to make sure that the right amount of lye goes into the oils as you can see the bottom part is slightly larger than the top. So I made the first lot and have let it harden up a bit, actually had to put it in the oven for few minutes cause I poured at very light trace to have a straight line. Meantime I made my second batch and brought it to med trace and very carefully poured on the top, by that time it started to firm up, then with two thin spatulas I just whipped to top up to make a nice pattern, you can use the back of a spoon as well but it doesnt work as well for me. Try it's really easy and its a lot of fun, you can sprinkle a bit of clay on the top and then start your pattern so you get different color tones, just let your imagination go nuts :lol: :wink:
Etelka

I've personally tried Vanilla FO and vanilla EO with no success, my last batch of milk soap came out smelling like licorice.

Latest posts

Back