vanilla bean

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Emilee

Reaction score
I make gm cp soap, and don't use fragrance, and I'd heard that vanilla seizes soap anyway.

so i thought I'd try some with vanilla bean paste and vanillin powder.

turned out fine, and was a lovely light brown colour first day, getting darker each day.

cut the soap this morning, and lo and behold its only dark in a very thin layer on the face of the soap, sides and bottom. on the inside, its a kind of yellow/brown.

anyone know why its like this? i like the look but want to make sure there's nothing wrong with it.

Nope, nothing wrong with it. That's actually perfectly normal for vanilla soaps. Over the next week or so the whole thing will turn brown.

IrishLass :)

Looks lovely right now and will look amazing when it finishes browning up!

How much vanillin powder did you use ppo please? I have some and want to use it in CP. TIA.....

Tanya :)

carebear said:
yep, it browns with exposure to light.

What is it that the light does? I just assumed it was from the liquid drying.

I always thought it was exposure to oxygen. Why I think that I have no idea since I haven't read it anywhere or anything.

I bet it smells great. I bought some vanilla bean paste to add into soap, haven't used it yet, but it's a very dark sticky substance. Smells wonderful.
Isn't it a shame that vanilla discolours when there are so many vanilla-ish fragrances that conjure up pretty colours...

yep, does smell great.

i'm currently using 3p 4oz oils, and I used 6 Tab vanillin powder and 3 Tab vanilla bean paste.

I initially thought I'd add about 4 Tab powder, but once that was in the pot, i wasn't sure it was enough, and I"ve had too many batches lately that didn't smell as strong as I'd have liked.

One can certainly smell the current vanilla smell, it is delicious, and not too overpowering (I don't like reaking like a perfume shop) however I think its probably possible that you could add a little less powder and it still be fine.

didn't have any seizing, and now whole bar is covered in dark brown colour.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back