Using up oils....a few questions

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

three_little_fishes

Reaction score
I'm trying to use up some oils that I don't really want to use in a lot of soaps, but already have so why not. How does this look? I would prefer not to use palm since doing some research, but I have an almost full tub of it in the pantry. I'm not sure about sunflower. I bought it because I found it locally, but I don't hear of a lot of people using it.

How does this look? I like bubbly....do you think adding sugar would be good for this recipe or no? Am I looking at a DOS disaster?

I'm thinking of coloring with woad and using huckleberry FO from NG.

[URL=http://s1342.photobucket.com/user/threelittlefishes/media/soaprecipe_zps63483c4c.jpg.html] [/URL]

I'm not an expert but I wonder if that is high in Avocado Oil. Do you have any canola or Olive?

I have done similar I'd reduce the avocado to around 10%. sunflower is awesome you will find it a great addition to any recipe! I recently made a bar for someone allergic to almost everything and used sunflower, palm, canola and castor added bentione clay and kelp it is by far the most moisturizing and lathering bar I've made! I didn't add FO since he's so sensitive so it smells kinda fresh ocean.

Sunflower is one of my main oils and I use it at a high % and in my 10+ years of soaping I have never gotten DOS except once when I put a bar of soap on a metal rack that had a rust spot on it (I didn't notice the rust spot or I wouldn't have used it) It was only on that one bar and the only thing I can think as to why it got DOS was the rust.
So I think other than the high % of Avocado oil, it looks good. Me personally, I would go up on the palm and down on the avocado. But that's just my opinion...

Back