Using Plastic bucket to make soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Although I feel like the 4-lb lard buckets are too flimsy (thin & easily bendable, plus useless handle for lifting/carrying liquid soap), they are pretty good for temporary use.

I discovered this on my recent road trip, when I decided to buy a bucket and use some lard in the soaps I was making. (Yes, I am still a vegetarian, don't judge me! :think:) After reading the recycle number on the bottom, I decided to give it a try as on of my soaping containers. It works, but I tossed it before coming home, because I prefer something sturdier for mixing my soap batter.

But in a pinch, it worked fine with cautious handling.

I would venture to guess that it should be fine, but check the recycle triangle on the bottom of the bucket to be sure. If you see HDPE #2 in the recycle traiangle, or PP #5, then it's safe to use.

IrishLass :)

Thanks for that information, IrishLass. I just went and checked the plastic pitcher I use to mix my lye, and it has PP#5 on the bottom. That's one less thing to worry about when soaping.

Although I feel like the 4-lb lard buckets are too flimsy (thin & easily bendable, plus useless handle for lifting/carrying liquid soap), they are pretty good for temporary use.

I discovered this on my recent road trip, when I decided to buy a bucket and use some lard in the soaps I was making. (Yes, I am still a vegetarian, don't judge me! :think:) After reading the recycle number on the bottom, I decided to give it a try as on of my soaping containers. It works, but I tossed it before coming home, because I prefer something sturdier for mixing my soap batter.

But in a pinch, it worked fine with cautious handling.

No judgement here earlene. I too am vegetarian, but as part of my work, I'm often required to taste meat products. While I don't necessarily enjoy it, It's part of my job. I work in a deli, and am required to be able to sell the products. Part of that is knowing how they taste. So I understand where you're coming from when it comes to using lard in your soap. Since I have never used lard in soap, how did they come out?

No judgement here earlene. I too am vegetarian, but as part of my work, I'm often required to taste meat products. While I don't necessarily enjoy it, It's part of my job. I work in a deli, and am required to be able to sell the products. Part of that is knowing how they taste. So I understand where you're coming from when it comes to using lard in your soap. Since I have never used lard in soap, how did they come out?

Although I have read others say they find a huge difference, I don't really see a huge difference as yet. The ones I made while traveling are fairly young, however, so it's probably too early to judge.

The first batch I made 2 or 3 months ago smelled so strongly of pig fat when I unmolded that my DIL and granddaughter felt so nauseated they had to leave the room. That batch was for my brother, the blacksmith, and I only kept two bars so my husband could evaluate them. Thankfully the strong piggy odor has faded!

My brother raves about soap, but the purpose was to clean his blacksmith hands and it was the borax and the pumice that were the important ingredients there. My husband also raves about this soap as a mechanics soap for after he works on the cars. The one he used had only added borax. He hasn't used the one with pumice yet. (I made it in three versions: only borax added; only pumice added; combo of both borax and pumice.)

The smell of the first batch was so off-putting that I hesitated to try again, but on advice of people here, I tried another brand. So far I have used 3 different brands and have not run into that horrible odor again, so either it was the brand, or the container I bought was 'off.'

Latest posts

Back