Using milk and yoghurt in cp/hp soap - temperature

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all! I was just wondering if anybody can clarify whether soap needs to be a certain temperature when adding milk or yoghurt in both cp and hp, if so what should it be and at what point during the process should I add them?
I have seen so many wonderful reviews on adding this but worried I’m going to get it wrong!

When adding milk or yogurt to CP soap, I usually freeze it and substitute it for water. Add the lye to frozen milk/yogurt a little at a time, stirring well after each addition. You can add "Instant" powdered milk to HP soap at the end of the cook. If I were adding yogurt to HP soap, I would also add it at the end of the cook.

I agree with the advice to add the yogurt or milk after the HP cook. I also warm up the yogurt or milk so that it doesn't cause the batter to harden up really fast.

oh that’s a good idea! Thank you very much! Can I ask, have you added it to cp before?
Yes, I have added milk into CP. I usually blend it at room temp into the oils.

ETA: MadameC's response below made me realize that I should clarify that I don't use it for full water replacement, since I masterbatch my lye solution. Her recommendation of using frozen milk for full water replacement is a good one!

Last edited:
Frozen if replacing all the water. Otherwise, make the lye solution in a reduced amount of water and add milk (room temp or little finger temp ;)) just after adding lye solution to oils. I have been doing the latter for over 20 years, works great !

Thank you for all your amazing knowledge :) this forum has been such a help since trying to self teach!
so just as an example if my:

water is 119g

and I did half water half milk I would use:

59.5g milk
59.5g water

are we still measuring the milk in grams too?

if I then also add yoghurt to cp soap, would this be added at the same time as the milk to oils? And again this is just done by grams substituted for water?

im so sorry if this is really simple and I’m just not getting it lol!

thank you again

Yes, that all looks good, as long as you have at least as much water as the lye. To say it another way, as long as the weight of your lye is 119g or less, you are good to go -- because lye needs an equal amount of water (by weight) to dissolve.

If your lye is more than 119g, increase the weight water to equal the weight of your lye, and then subtract that additional water amount from the milk or yogurt being added.

Latest posts

Back