Using Crisco

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While I can't get Crisco here in Austria, there are a number of cooking products that are useful. Coconut oil sold in 250g (8.8 oz) blocks, 1kg (35 oz) blocks of 80% Palm oil and 20% rapeseed.

That is why my recipes often include these basics

What do you write on the label for Crisco, Lard? I just used both to make x-mas presents for the first time in place of Palm Oil, as I forgot to buy it. I only
make soap for christmas, family, friends, co-workers, but I still want them to know what's in there in case they have an aversion to it or a reaction.
I have to say I have used several from the batches and I really like the soap made with them. I may not buy anymore palm oil if my friends like it.
I used Manteca and Snow Cap Lard, and real Crisco.

I would just put exactly what you used, Crisco, Lard, or both on the ingredients list. If you want to be more specific for the Crisco you can label it as whatever your crisco is. For example Soybean oil and Palm. If you list the ingredients in the order of most to least like professional labels just make sure to put them in the right places when separating the crisco into soybean and palm. Or you could write Crisco and in parenthesis write 75% soybean oil 15% Palm oil to be specific.

I would put the ingredients from the product on there. For example, I wouldn't put "20% Cremena" on my listing, but "16% Palm oil, 4% Rapeseed oil"

Edit, I think adding names of foods like that might turn people off a little bit.

Thanks everyone, I looked at the Crisco label and found the listing for Soybean and Palm.
What about the Lard? Both labels, basically just said Lard & Hydrogenated Lard. The Armour one does say "Manteca" on it. Maybe I don't want to know what is in Lard, lol.

Lard is in Lard, lol. So I'd just write that. Lard is pig fat, tallow is usually beef fat but can also be specified another animal such as deer tallow etc.

Back