Using carrot juice in CP soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winusuren

Reaction score
Hi,
Is it better to freeze the carrot juice and make the lye solution or add carrot juice at trace?? Which works best to get orange colour??? How much juice to add incase if I'm adding at trace?? Sorry for asking too many questions. I'm planning to make a carrot soap and wish to have a natural orange colour.

If you are trying to retain the orange color, I think adding the juice at trace would work best. I would use 50% juice and 50% water. Dissolve the lye in the water and add juice at trace. You might also try using baby food carrots instead of juice.

If you are trying to retain the orange color, I think adding the juice at trace would work best. I would use 50% juice and 50% water. Dissolve the lye in the water and add juice at trace. You might also try using baby food carrots instead of juice.
Ok. Thank you so much for your reply.

I've had issues with carrot causing overheating so keep a eye on the temps after you've poured.
Thank you for sharing your experience. I always work at room temperature and I'm planning to make a small batch next week. I'll share the results after making.

When I use carrot juice I work with 50/50 lye solution and use the remaining liquid requirement as my carrot juice which I mix directly into my oils. As a side note, I do not mix any additives into my lye solution since I don't use Sodium Lactate. Carrot juice has never caused me any overheating issues even with my addition of sorbitol, but if adding in honey overheating could certainly be an issue.

I was using the juice at 100% water replacement, that must have been enough sugars to push it over the edge.

I was using the juice at 100% water replacement, that must have been enough sugars to push it over the edge.
It might have made a difference with the sugar in the carrot juice. I would use it with carrot tissue oil I made from Sunflower Oil along with the carrot juice, tumeric, and yellow shea butter. This made a pretty color soap.

I had juiced some carrots so I took the pulp and dried it in a dehydrator. Worked good and the infusion was really nice.
Should make some more to use on my skin
What a creative idea! It probably took less time to extract the goodies from the dried carrots and infuse it into the oil. And with all of the water removed, less of a risk in mold or bacterial growth in the oil.

When I use carrot juice I work with 50/50 lye solution and use the remaining liquid requirement as my carrot juice which I mix directly into my oils. As a side note, I do not mix any additives into my lye solution since I don't use Sodium Lactate. Carrot juice has never caused me any overheating issues even with my addition of sorbitol, but if adding in honey overheating could certainly be an issue.
Just curious why you don’t use sodium lactate?

What a creative idea! It probably took less time to extract the goodies from the dried carrots and infuse it into the oil. And with all of the water removed, less of a risk in mold or bacterial growth in the oil.

It was actually a pretty slow process. Took a good three days for the pulp to dry completely. I would make thin peels next time, should be faster.
I think I let the oil infuse for a few weeks but that was more out of laziness then need.

I do both carrot oil and fresh carrot as 50/50 lye/water replacement to get a darker orange. All mixed into the oils not at trace. Some people use Carotene powder.
I tried to dehydrate carrot and make my own powder but didn’t have a grinder fine enough and it ended up as orange spots. Not a great look.
I found fresh carrot used as the juice/pulp gets a darker colour than frozen.
Either way the colour fades a bit after 6-8 weeks.

I do both carrot oil and fresh carrot as 50/50 lye/water replacement to get a darker orange. All mixed into the oils not at trace. Some people use Carotene powder.
I tried to dehydrate carrot and make my own powder but didn’t have a grinder fine enough and it ended up as orange spots. Not a great look.
I found fresh carrot used as the juice/pulp gets a darker colour than frozen.
Either way the colour fades a bit after 6-8 weeks.
I may not have mentioned I added in Tumeric EO to up the color which does not fade, because yes like most natural colorants the color does fade.

I may not have mentioned I added in Tumeric EO to up the color which does not fade, because yes like most natural colorants the color does fade.
Oh thank you so much for the tip. Could you kindly tell me the essential oils that you use along with turmeric EO?? I searched a lot for turmeric EO blend and couldn't find a good one. I've already tried sweet orange but it didn't stick even for 30 days. In India, we don't have 5x or 10x citrus EOs.

Back