Using aluminum molds

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd be afraid I would drip outside the waxed paper onto the metal. Ever since I read about aluminum and lye creating hydrogen gas I'd shuddered at the thought. Don't want any disaster on my still inexperienced hands!

Ever pay much attention to the MREs doled out to people in emergency areas during floods, hurricanes? The heater is hydrogen powered, triggered by the addition of water. Nasty fumes.

Dennis said:
I have fallen in love with a 1 1/2 gallon Schwan's ice cream bucket. I use it now for mixing my oils and lye. I loved it when it was full of ice cream also. As my soap hobby is expected to grow I intend to lay in a supply of them. It's tough getting them empty and ready for soaping but someone has to do it. 8)

LOL! You're so brave to take that task upon yourself. :D

Those Schwan ice cream buckets rock lol.
I have a cupcake pan I use for making soap I believe it is coated with aluminum, but I double up on the greaseproof paper liners and never had a problem with it. It could be that it's not aluminum though and why I haven't had problems with it ;)

It's neither smart nor safe to use aluminum. If you aren't sure, don't use it. If you've been getting away with it so far, don't count on that continuing.

If you choose to take the risk, please keep it to yourself as SMF cannot condone that.

Sorry to sound harsh, but we've had this discussion before and we're not going to go down that road again.

Then delete my post if that is how you feel. I'm not telling people to go out and do it!!!! I'm not a moron and have been soaping for many years now. Geez just delete my account I know when I'm not welcomed. Just like the dish I guess :roll:

wow! :shock: i thought Carebear was talking to anyone who was saying they could/would use aluminum, not just fluffysuds who might or might not be using aluminum.

while i have found some posts to be more to the point or short than i would personally make them, this forum is very nice and is very helpful and since we cannot hear the tone in which the poster is "speaking" i choose to "hear" it in a nice tone.

untwist your drawers and stick around, no one wants to chase anyone away, just to promote the safest way of doing things so that newbies dont come and get the wrong info. :roll:

We ARE nicer than many other fora; however, thin skin is thin skin and some of our mods are more concerned with unambiguous clarity on matters of safety than they are concerned with the less than sturdy feelings of posters.

krissy said:
no one wants to chase anyone away, just to promote the safest way of doing things so that newbies dont come and get the wrong info
dieSpinne said:
and some of our mods are more concerned with unambiguous clarity on matters of safety than they are concerned with the less than sturdy feelings of posters.

Yes! A 100% ditto to both of these sentiments (you enabled me to make my post shorter). And a big ditto to all that carebear said (and Hazel and Dennis, too!). The truth can hurt sometimes, but it's much nicer than the potential consequences.

dieSpinne said:
We ARE nicer than many other fora;

Awesome! :) I learn something new everyday (yes, I looked it up as I was not previously familiar with the term).

IrishLass :)

fluffysuds said:
Those Schwan ice cream buckets rock lol.
I have a cupcake pan I use for making soap I believe it is coated with aluminum, but I double up on the greaseproof paper liners and never had a problem with it. It could be that it's not aluminum though and why I haven't had problems with it ;)

Never said you were a moron, but I stand by my statement about not using or suggesting that it's safe to use aluminum with lye. Period. I'm sorry if I sounded harsh to you - but it stands. As I said, if someone is unsure if their container is aluminum then it shouldn't be used. Period. YOU have been soaping a long time, fine, but many here haven't been and making it seem ok to take that risk is not ok.

I hope you choose to continue to participate in the forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back