Using aluminum molds

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jhofer

Reaction score
Hello,

Would it be ok to us an aluminum mold if it is lined with wax paper or would there still be a chance of any residual lye contacting the container and setting of a reaction?

Thanks

I wouldn't. I hear that aluminum foil works well though. Hehe. J/k

Seriously though I wouldn't chance it as the result could be dangerous

No, I wouldn't chance it either. If you spill on the outside of the mold then it's ruined, and even just a tiny amount can do it...

Not sure exactly how wax paper works, but I have done this with plastic foil.

You could use a cardboard box instead of an aluminum mold. Also, I don't recommend wax paper. I used it one time and the soap got so hot that the wax paper stuck to the loaf. It was a mess and I couldn't get it all peeled off. It kept shredding as I pulled on it. I ended up having to cut portions off the loaf. I'd recommend freezer paper for lining a mold.

edited to correct typos

lol ken.

I wouldn't use the aluminum, just for the reasons you mentioned - it could leak through any lining and cause a reaction and could ruin the soap.

cardboard is great, you could try cutting the top off a cereal box or using an empty milk carton with the top cut off too. or using things like yogurt containers, any sturdy plastic container (that you could get the soap out of) or any small box would work.

of course my favorite is silicone loaf molds!

waxed paper is a pretty lousy barrier. I wouldn't use aluminum no matter the liner, especially with waxed paper.

My question is why would anyone want to flirt with danger by using aluminum as a soap mold when so many safe, inert alternatives are readily available? Aluminum + lye solution = hydrogen gas which is extremely flammable, plus the lye will bore it's way though the aluminum. The few soapers I know of who made the mistake of allowing contact between aluminum and their raw soap batter reported the occurrance of intense heat, the ruination of their aluminum vessel as well as their soap, and the formation of black, acrid smoke filling up their house. I'm with carebear- I wouldn't use aluminum as a soap mold no matter what the liner. No thanks!

IrishLass :)

Thanks,

No aluminum then. I had nice sized containers and that is why I asked. Thanks again.

Ha! I've personally used both. I once used an aluminum pan type thing and it definately ate right through the mold, all over my counter. The house wasn't filled with acrid black smoke, but it definately didn't smell good.
Wax paper, on the other hand, sucks, to put it nicely. I used to line my log molds with it and would have to tinker around with getting it off, because the soap batter would soak through it slightly and it would make the wax paper weak and thus would stick to the soap and wouldn't come off cleanly.

The first soap making book I read advised me to take a kitchen trash bag (not a cheap brand though) and line it in a cardboard box.. that worked just fine for my first couple dozen batches, the ripples that you would imagine from the bag really weren't that bad.. it looked nice and natural.

I should think you can use whatever you want for a mold as long as the soap doesn't get through whatever your lining it with. I've been using a metal pan (looks like aluminum but not sure), with a trash bag as a liner. They've been coming out great.

G. Man said:
I should think you can use whatever you want for a mold as long as the soap doesn't get through whatever your lining it with. I've been using a metal pan (looks like aluminum but not sure), with a trash bag as a liner. They've been coming out great.

Why would you want to take the chance of raw soap leaking through to the aluminum when there are other options available? I've heard of people buying individual plastic drawer dividers from a dollar store and lining them.

It may be working for you but I think it's irresponsible and unsafe to recommend using a metal pan.

I think it's important for people to note there experience as I would weight the advice from myself and other soapers who don't have some of the experience some on this board have as less and proceed on the side of common sense and caution.

Happy New Year!

G. Man said:
I've been using a metal pan (looks like aluminum but not sure)

I know of a definite way to be sure, but it would be irresponsible of me to advise trying it unless you did it outside in an open area away from people and animals and all possibilty of the fumes coming into contact with sparks or static electricity.

True- people are free to use whatever mold of their choice, but it is the position of SMF to promote safe, responsible soapmaking practices- especially for those who are new to the craft. Aluminum is one of those things that just does not fit into the 'safe/responsible' catagory, hence our strong recommendation against it.

IrishLass :)

G. Man said:
I've been using a metal pan (looks like aluminum but not sure)

The easiest way to tell if it's aluminum or not is to take a magnet to it.

If the magnet sticks to the pan it's Steel.

If the magnet doesn't stick it's aluminum.

not really accurate - lots of things that magnets don't stick to. magnets are attracted to iron, a component of steel.

but really folks, don't mess about mixing aluminum and lye. play it safe - it's simply not worth it.

I went op shopping ( 2nd hand shopping) and bought cheap SS pans, after I read on here the dangers of Aluminium and Lye....I was not about to take a chance....

I have also bought and made wooden molds as well as used silicon molds and also made coroplast (USA )/ Corflute (AUST ) molds....all work as well as each other , but I tend to only use the corflute and silicone now....

I Still have my SS pans which I used to mix my oils and lye in, but I now tend to use Icecream containers or plastic buckets now ....

Each to their own, but with all the options available I certainly would not risk a caustic burn by using aluminium ! JMO

When I first started soaping I made the mistake of using an aluminium pan. Big mistake...HUGE.
The smell...OMG I will never forget it, it makes me nauseas to think of it.
I was so lucky that in my inexperience I didn't harm myself or damage my kitchen. It did take a long time for the smell to go away.

I have fallen in love with a 1 1/2 gallon Schwan's ice cream bucket. I use it now for mixing my oils and lye. I loved it when it was full of ice cream also. As my soap hobby is expected to grow I intend to lay in a supply of them. It's tough getting them empty and ready for soaping but someone has to do it. 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back