Used Cooking Oil First Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LiLiSoapz

Reaction score
IMG_7832.JPG IMG_7835.JPG

Hello everyone,

I made my very first soap yesterday. I've done so much research and felt ready to make my first batch. I didn't want to mess up any expensive oils and low and behold a whole jar of used cooking oil sat glistening by awaiting its trash can debut.

Why not learn how to clean and recycle said oil? My first soap was born. I will use it as a household soap. I already turned two bars of it into whipped laundry soap. I've read so many accounts of how to make laundry soap, some were from freshly made bars, others from well cured bars, so I have no clue if this first laundry batch will be okay or not.

No matter what I've had a wonderful time repurposing something that was headed for the landfills.

Now that is brilliant! I said half in jest yesterday that I wonder how brisket drippings soap would turn out. If nothing else, might give it to a BBQ joint to put in their restrooms LOL but now that I saw this post, I'm thinking about it again.

Did it keep any of the smells from the cooked food?

No, it smells really good. I didn't add any EO's or FO's and I have no idea what fresh soap smells like. However, the scent reminds me of something in childhood. The memory is just out of reach. Perhaps someone used to make homemade soaps when I was little.

I used a salt rinse method that I read in here https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/my-procedure-for-salting-out.32717/
Post #15 by grayceworks tells how to clean used oils using salt. The rest of the thread is fascinating as well.

The oils themselves still smelled after cleaning, but not after saponification. I will keep this thread updated as the bars age.

o_O, I can't comment.

Now that is brilliant! I said half in jest yesterday that I wonder how brisket drippings soap would turn out. If nothing else, might give it to a BBQ joint to put in their restrooms LOL but now that I saw this post, I'm thinking about it again.

Did it keep any of the smells from the cooked food?
For some reason, I was unable to comment. My initial comment is awaiting moderator approval (probably because of the link I tried to provide.

The oil doesn't smell once it is saponified. I read of a method to wash used oils with salt water. I'm going to see how I can quote instead of using links.

The method I read in the article was to use an equal amount of boiling water as the amount if oil you have, and dissolve salt in it at a rate of 1 part salt to 10 parts water. I actually used about 1.5c salt in 32oz boiling water. Just seemed right. Mix the oil and water until cloudy-ish and well agitated, then let it all settle. When it's separated, carefully skim off the oil -- I used a gravy separator -- and discard the brine.

Here it is! That whole thread was an awesome read.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations on your first soap, but I am a bit confused first you mention this is your first soap, then you mention making laundry soap with well cured soap. You really need to use a high or full coconut soap for laundry with 0 superfat. I used to use 50/50 lard/coconut for laundry but went back to laundry detergent.

Congratulations on your first soap, but I am a bit confused first you mention this is your first soap, then you mention making laundry soap with well cured soap. You really need to use a high or full coconut soap for laundry with 0 superfat. I used to use 50/50 lard/coconut for laundry but went back to laundry detergent.
Thank you. This was my first soap. I do not have any that is cured (I have about four to six weeks to go).

I'm sorry for the confusion. I was referring to the many posts, videos, and blogs I've read about making laundry soaps. Some people stated that they use a well cured soap while others shred the soap soon after unmolding. Since I have eight bars, I chose to experiment with both methods. Two bars have been converted to whipped laundry soap (shredded and melted right after unmolding), while the other six bars are curing. At the end of the cure, I will make another whipped batch and see if there are any noticeable differences.

Now that I got my first soap out of the way, I may take your advice and try an 100% coconut oil laundry soap. (My first batch was 0 super fat).

Th usd oil is going to be a fun experiment for me, If it doesn't work on the clothes, perhaps general cleaning. I'm excited either way.

Sorry, I think I mis-read the original post. It has been one of those weeks :). But do use a soap that is 0 superfat for laundry soap, clothes do not need or like the oil
Thank you! I will definitely write that down, so that I will always remember to never superfat the laundry soap.

I hope your week gets better, I usually have at least one of those types of days a week.

I use 75 /Coconut and 25/Lard liquid soap and havent used commercial laundry soap in months

I use 75 /Coconut and 25/Lard liquid soap and havent used commercial laundry soap in months
Upon making your laundry soap do you shred it, whip it, or do you use the Mike method, where you make it as a three day liquid process?

Upon making your laundry soap do you shred it, whip it, or do you use the Mike method, where you make it as a three day liquid process?
Sorry, I make HP liquid soap with KOH . Its never in bar form. I made it last night and it takes 3 hours to cook but once you get to applesauce stage you only check once every 30 minutes. after it became paste, I diluted it 2-1 and leave it over night.

Were you able to get everything cleaned u
Sorry, I make HP liquid soap with KOH . Its never in bar form. I made it last night and it takes 3 hours to cook but once you get to applesauce stage you only check once every 30 minutes. after it became paste, I diluted it 2-1 and leave it over night.

Were you able to get everything cleaned up okay? I remember you had a Lye-saster.

Latest posts

Back