1. We are helping test out a new project for soapmakers. Soapmaking Friend. If you are interested in providing feedback and help guide this project to include all you want to see in a recipe builder and calculator please PM an Admin or post in the Announcements forum. Your feedback is really needed!
    Dismiss Notice

Used Cooking Oil First Soap

Discussion in 'The Photo Gallery' started by LiLiSoapz, Aug 2, 2018.

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating using the link above.
  1. Aug 2, 2018 #1

LiLiSoapz

LiLiSoapz

LiLiSoapz

IMG_7832.JPG IMG_7835.JPG

Hello everyone,

I made my very first soap yesterday. I've done so much research and felt ready to make my first batch. I didn't want to mess up any expensive oils and low and behold a whole jar of used cooking oil sat glistening by awaiting its trash can debut.

Why not learn how to clean and recycle said oil? My first soap was born. I will use it as a household soap. I already turned two bars of it into whipped laundry soap. I've read so many accounts of how to make laundry soap, some were from freshly made bars, others from well cured bars, so I have no clue if this first laundry batch will be okay or not.

No matter what I've had a wonderful time repurposing something that was headed for the landfills.

Redneck Packrat likes this.
  2. Aug 2, 2018 #2

Redneck Packrat

Redneck Packrat

Redneck Packrat

Now that is brilliant! I said half in jest yesterday that I wonder how brisket drippings soap would turn out. If nothing else, might give it to a BBQ joint to put in their restrooms LOL but now that I saw this post, I'm thinking about it again.

Did it keep any of the smells from the cooked food?

LiLiSoapz likes this.
  3. Aug 2, 2018 #3

LiLiSoapz

LiLiSoapz

LiLiSoapz

No, it smells really good. I didn't add any EO's or FO's and I have no idea what fresh soap smells like. However, the scent reminds me of something in childhood. The memory is just out of reach. Perhaps someone used to make homemade soaps when I was little.

I used a salt rinse method that I read in here https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/my-procedure-for-salting-out.32717/
    Post #15 by grayceworks tells how to clean used oils using salt. The rest of the thread is fascinating as well.

The oils themselves still smelled after cleaning, but not after saponification. I will keep this thread updated as the bars age.

o_O, I can't comment.

For some reason, I was unable to comment. My initial comment is awaiting moderator approval (probably because of the link I tried to provide.

The oil doesn't smell once it is saponified. I read of a method to wash used oils with salt water. I'm going to see how I can quote instead of using links.

Here it is! That whole thread was an awesome read.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2018
    Redneck Packrat likes this.
  4. Aug 2, 2018 #5

cmzaha

cmzaha

cmzaha

Supporting Member

Congratulations on your first soap, but I am a bit confused first you mention this is your first soap, then you mention making laundry soap with well cured soap. You really need to use a high or full coconut soap for laundry with 0 superfat. I used to use 50/50 lard/coconut for laundry but went back to laundry detergent.

5. Aug 2, 2018 #6

LiLiSoapz

LiLiSoapz

LiLiSoapz

Thank you. This was my first soap. I do not have any that is cured (I have about four to six weeks to go).

I'm sorry for the confusion. I was referring to the many posts, videos, and blogs I've read about making laundry soaps. Some people stated that they use a well cured soap while others shred the soap soon after unmolding. Since I have eight bars, I chose to experiment with both methods. Two bars have been converted to whipped laundry soap (shredded and melted right after unmolding), while the other six bars are curing. At the end of the cure, I will make another whipped batch and see if there are any noticeable differences.

Now that I got my first soap out of the way, I may take your advice and try an 100% coconut oil laundry soap. (My first batch was 0 super fat).

Th usd oil is going to be a fun experiment for me, If it doesn't work on the clothes, perhaps general cleaning. I'm excited either way.

6. Aug 2, 2018 #6

cmzaha

cmzaha

cmzaha

Supporting Member

Sorry, I think I mis-read the original post. It has been one of those weeks :). But do use a soap that is 0 superfat for laundry soap, clothes do not need or like the oil

LiLiSoapz likes this.
  7. Aug 2, 2018 #7

LiLiSoapz

LiLiSoapz

LiLiSoapz

Thank you! I will definitely write that down, so that I will always remember to never superfat the laundry soap.

I hope your week gets better, I usually have at least one of those types of days a week.

8. Aug 2, 2018 #8

msunnerstood

msunnerstood

msunnerstood

I use 75 /Coconut and 25/Lard liquid soap and havent used commercial laundry soap in months

9. Aug 2, 2018 #9

LiLiSoapz

LiLiSoapz

LiLiSoapz

Upon making your laundry soap do you shred it, whip it, or do you use the Mike method, where you make it as a three day liquid process?

10. Aug 2, 2018 #10

msunnerstood

msunnerstood

msunnerstood

Sorry, I make HP liquid soap with KOH . Its never in bar form. I made it last night and it takes 3 hours to cook but once you get to applesauce stage you only check once every 30 minutes. after it became paste, I diluted it 2-1 and leave it over night.

11. Aug 3, 2018 #11

LiLiSoapz

LiLiSoapz

LiLiSoapz

Were you able to get everything cleaned u
    Were you able to get everything cleaned up okay? I remember you had a Lye-saster.

12. Aug 3, 2018 #12

msunnerstood

msunnerstood

msunnerstood

Yeah, I didnt lose as much as I thought. still wound up with just under a gallon of finished soap

LiLiSoapz likes this.
  13. Aug 3, 2018 #13

LiLiSoapz

LiLiSoapz

LiLiSoapz

That's awesome!!!

msunnerstood likes this.