Unmolded after only 4 hours...tell me it'll be ok.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bukawww

Reaction score
I made a 75% CO, 25% CB 15% SF batch today, WSP Carribbean Coconut FO, ground toasted coconut, bit of tit diox, and coc milk powder in half the water...it traced SO quickly :shock: .

4 hours later and the very small red silicone loaf (WSP) is unmolded already with zero issues. I've got 2 more WSP green loaves in which the sides were easily seperated form the soap, but I won't chance unmolding of that just yet...I've got the leftovers in a silicone muffin mold and they are not ready to unmold.

The loaves gelled, the muffins partial gelled...my question is should I cut what I can now - am I in for crumbly soap tomorrow if I wait?

coconut soap does set up fast... some people like to cut while still warm. i say try to cut a tiny slice off, if it's way too gooey, then wait an hour or two and try again. if you wait all night it may crumble.

had my first crumbled loaf this morning and wanted to cry. don't let it happen to you!

Thanks for the prompt reply - running the loaves back to cut NOW :D

SOOOO glad I cut it - it was already showing signs of stiffness while cutting - woohoo! Thanks again!!

so, in a salt bar, is it the high % of coconut oil that causes it to set up so fast, or is it the salt?

I assumed it was the salt!!! My first salt bar attempt a few weeks back, set up SO quickly-- luckily I cut it quickly- if I remember, it was only 5 hours after pour-- because the next morning it was so rock hard and brittle.

I'm gonna say it's the CO. I make 100% CO bars with 0% SF and a water discount and have had them set up in about an hour. (these are for cleaning, not for bathing!)

Tasha, how do you use bar soap for cleaning? What do you clean with it?

Yep- soaps made with a high amount of CO set up real fast, whether you're making a salt bar batch or just a regular 'no salt' batch. As soon as my high CO soaps come out of the gel stage and have firmed back up, I cut them right away, no matter how warm they are. If you wait too much longer after that, they get so hard that you almost need to take a hammer and chisel to them. :lol:

IrishLass :)

Latest posts

Back