Uncle Charlie

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Todd Ziegler

Circle Z soaps
Reaction score
Here is a soap that I made 2 days ago and I'm only posting it because I am surprised just how white the soap is without the use of titanium dioxide or a white mica.

I have included the recipe so that you can see what I used. A little bit of the blue mica got all the way through some of the soap base but it is much whiter in person. I even used buttermilk powder in the recipe. It says goat milk in the recipe because I forgot to change it.

The name is a remembrance of my uncle Charlie. He was a background actor in the TV show Gunsmoke. He loved the life of a cowboy.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201012-103356_Xodo Docs.jpg
    Screenshot_20201012-103356_Xodo Docs.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 50
  • 20201012_102613.jpg
    20201012_102613.jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 54
Thanks a lot. He loved his native American jewelry. It was all original and was donated after his death to a native American museum in Arizona.
That is so very cool! Great little bit of family history. I love that the jewelry was donated so that it can be enjoyed and appreciated by all :)

Your soap looks like native art with the turquoise. That makes it extra awesome with the story. Do you know where in Arizona it was donated?

You know, uncle Charlie was the first thing I thought of when I saw your soap.🙂
I finally got to remember him.
Your soap looks like native art with the turquoise. That makes it extra awesome with the story. Do you know where in Arizona it was donated?
I'm sorry but I don't. I was 12 years old when he passed away and my grandmother never told me the name of the museum.
Love the soap and I love Gunsmoke.
Thanks, he was in almost every episode but it was a non credited role.
That is so very cool! Great little bit of family history. I love that the jewelry was donated so that it can be enjoyed and appreciated by all :)
They were from around the 1900's and they were one of a kind pieces of jewelry. They would have been "antiques road show" spot light jewelry. He only had 10 pieces of antique jewelry, the rest were modern day pieces. Still hand made but for the tourists instead.

Love the copper or gold color popping through. Great story, thanks for sharing.
It’s dark gold mica and in the right light it has a copper hue to it.

What an awesome story, a beautiful soap, and a talented soap maker. Looking back to your first posts here, @Todd Ziegler it is amazing how far you’ve come in a short time. #respect
Thank you very much. I love soap making, it is become my therapy. There was a time when I thought I would never make a soap that didn't get an "at a boy" or some other simpithetic response lol. However I new that if I kept my goal of making a soap that is a high quality cleanser, the beauty of the outside would fall in to place. Then one day, I decided that I was putting to much pressure on myself to make a pretty soap and I threw caution to the wind and decided to have fun and that is when I found a technique that worked for me.

But I would be negligent and dishonest if I didn't thank everyone who said "good job," nice " or" good try" when that's not exactly what they meant lol. That gave me the confidence to keep going. So thank you to everyone who has responded with a kind word.

Encouragement breeds confidence and confidence keeps us going! I have come to see that 'soapers' are extremely generous with their knowledge, always ready with a kind word, and eager to provide helpful suggestions to keep us all going. I thank you all.

Well, my intent wasn’t to imply that your first soaps were ugly, lol! Putting aside those who come to soapmaking with pre-existing skills and talents, for the great majority of us, the first soaps we made were a “good job” and “nice” - for our amount of time on the job, so to speak.

It’s like telling a first grader that his handwriting is “nice.” That is a true statement for a first grader, because his results are commensurate with his age and time spent working on handwriting. Comparing his efforts to a senior in high school would be unreasonable and unkind.

Now, if his handwriting still looks like that when he graduates high school, it becomes unreasonable and unkind to keep saying it is “nice.”

Fortunately, we don’t need to worry about that with your soaps, Todd. I’m still hoping to get there with mine. 😁

Thank you very much. I love soap making, it is become my therapy. There was a time when I thought I would never make a soap that didn't get an "at a boy" or some other simpithetic response lol. However I new that if I kept my goal of making a soap that is a high quality cleanser, the beauty of the outside would fall in to place. Then one day, I decided that I was putting to much pressure on myself to make a pretty soap and I threw caution to the wind and decided to have fun and that is when I found a technique that worked for me.

But I would be negligent and dishonest if I didn't thank everyone who said "good job," nice " or" good try" when that's not exactly what they meant lol. That gave me the confidence to keep going. So thank you to everyone who has responded with a kind word.
Todd,
You have been nice enough to respond to a couple of my newbie posts and it's greatly appreciated. I have a feeling my soaping journey will be similar to yours. I have only 3 batches under my belt but already a stone cold soaping junkie and look forward to what the future holds. Love the colors and the rustic look of the Uncle Charlie soap. Thanks for sharing.

Christian - SoapDaddy70

Well, my intent wasn’t to imply that your first soaps were ugly, lol! Putting aside those who come to soapmaking with pre-existing skills and talents, for the great majority of us, the first soaps we made were a “good job” and “nice” - for our amount of time on the job, so to speak.

It’s like telling a first grader that his handwriting is “nice.” That is a true statement for a first grader, because his results are commensurate with his age and time spent working on handwriting. Comparing his efforts to a senior in high school would be unreasonable and unkind.

Now, if his handwriting still looks like that when he graduates high school, it becomes unreasonable and unkind to keep saying it is “nice.”

Fortunately, we don’t need to worry about that with your soaps, Todd. I’m still hoping to get there with mine. 😁

EXACTLY!! They weren’t sympathy votes Todd. Every newbie that posts pics of their efforts, be they rough or pretty, reminds us experienced soapers of our first tries...and that a usable soap is a little chemistry miracle.

Here is a soap that I made 2 days ago and I'm only posting it because I am surprised just how white the soap is without the use of titanium dioxide or a white mica.

I have included the recipe so that you can see what I used. A little bit of the blue mica got all the way through some of the soap base but it is much whiter in person. I even used buttermilk powder in the recipe. It says goat milk in the recipe because I forgot to change it.

The name is a remembrance of my uncle Charlie. He was a background actor in the TV show Gunsmoke. He loved the life of a cowboy.

Very pretty. Nice to know a soap can turn out so white w/ out td.

Latest posts

Back